Best way to transport a 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcpix, Aug 5, 2012.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I've got a project I'd like to work on at home and I'm thinking about bringing my 27" iMac with me. I've got the original box and I've also seen the iLugger case. It's nice, but it's $199 and big.

I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a clever and easy way to transport and protect their iMac while moving it. I'd probably be taking it back and forth from work and home for a 2 week period.

Any ideas?

2. livlif macrumors member

I transport my Mac all the time. I use an ilugger. Perfect and is much smaller than the box.

3. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

For a two week period, I'd probably just use the original box. It made it all the way from Asia in it, so hopefully it can make it through your commute for a few weeks.

The iLugger case is nice, but it's kind of expensive if your only going to have a use for it during a few week period.

Or you could just get a second iMac...:)

4. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

I like the way you think!

I do have a MBP that I can hook up to the 20" Cinema display I have at home. It's just that my iMac is much faster, and I really like working on the 27" display.

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Ever take it on a plane?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Tenba makes some nice cases too, but they're even larger and cost around $500. If you traveled with one all the time, I might suggest one.

7. Dkrogh macrumors member

I've moved a few times with my 27" iMac and still use the original box and packaging and have not had any issues at all.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

not sure there is a easy way to transport a 27 imac

9. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

10. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Maybe get a Mac Mini and 2x LCDs, one for work and one at home :D Then later you can put both LCDs on the Mini at work.

11. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

By car or public transport?

If car just wrap it in a towel and put it in the back seat, did this a couple of times. If you are going by train and bus, id suggest the original box or ilugger case. :)

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Just the thought of letting the "throwers" handle one of my machines fills with dread no matter how well it is packed.

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Another iLugger user here. I agree with the other poster that $200 might be too much for a few week project. However, if you think that you will have other projects, then it probably makes sense.

I first bought one for my daughter, who would routinely bring her iMac to/from grad school via car (evidently, her MBA is not enough). She would make the 7 hour trip about once/month, and the original box was getting beat up... plus it is awkward for her to carry. By contrast, the iLugger loads super quick/easy, is trivial to lug around, and offers plenty of protection to be thrown in the back of her Prius with luggage... and was a good purchase.

I was so impressed with how easy her iLugger worked, that I bought a second one for myself, and use it to bring my 27" ATD to/from our beach condo where I sometimes choose to work. Once again... it is transported by car.

I would not recommend the iLugger for plane travel. Instead, I would use the original box, or buy a hard case if I needed to move it often. iLugger does not recommend their case for plane travel.

/Jim

14. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the good report on the iLugger.

Depending upon how it goes, I might be using my iMac at home for some other projects too. In that case, I think the iLugger would be the way to go.

15. finesoil54 macrumors newbie

TRANSPORTING iMAC

I'm wondering what would you recommend using to transport an iMac 27" by plane? I do have the original box but the way I've seen boxes and luggage thrown around I'm not sure if it would hold up for a roundtrip to the Philippines.

I was thinking of in addition to using the original box, I'd put it inside a wheeled storage trunk along with some camera gear. I'm carrying my MBP and Canon 7D onboard in my backpack as usual.

Any suggestions?

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I'd use the original box. the iLugger is specifically NOT designed for plane travel.

/Jim