Best way to treat MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlb253, Apr 21, 2010.

1. dlb253 macrumors member

The docking station I have for my work laptop constantly cycles the battery between 20-70% or so.

I've read a few people on here saying to leave your MBP plugged in constantly when at home. I'm wondering what the best way is to preserve my new MBP's battery health. Do I leave it plugged in when at home (have it constantly holding 100% charge) or is it best to let the battery cycle fully?

Thanks for the advice.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's best to not worry about what amounts to a few percentage points of health over the lifetime of your machine. Plus there are literally dozens of threads on this in the first few pages of the MBP forum.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The best thing to do is to not obsess over it. Your laptop is a tool. Use it in the way that's the most convenient for you. It's best to not leave it plugged in all the time and to periodically use it on battery, but it won't make a huge difference in its life. Also, fully cycling the battery is actually harmful for it. Periodically doing it for calibration purposes is fine, but I wouldn't do it as a matter of course. It's best to charge it before it's completely gone.