Best way to try out new host before canceling old host?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aeryn, May 24, 2010.

1. Aeryn macrumors member

Here's the deal: currently with Bluehost, happy with the service, but I'm bumping up against the 50k file limit due to large photo gallery so I'm thinking about moving to Dreamhost.

BH plan expires in 60 days, DH offers 97-day money back...would the best way to try this be: sign up for DH now, move everything, if I like it stay, if I don't move it all back? (I'll probably stay with BH for another year if I don't like DH.)

That seems a bit convoluted so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.

I also have a parked domain that's currently empty...I could use that at DH and duplicate my photo gallery and test it that way. I have three active domains total but the other two are peanuts compared to the photo gallery in terms of size and resource usage. But I don't want that parked domain to be my "primary" domain at DH...anyone know if it's possible to change the primary domain after the fact?

Or is there another option that I'm completely overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why not just start a new, similar domain on DH and/or move your photos to a dedicated gallery site like smugmug? Their higher-level packages give you a lot of options as far as domain integration, and for 50,000 photos it seems like it'd be worth it.

3. Aeryn thread starter macrumors member

I'm nowhere near 50k photos, more like 5k, BH's file limit counts all the cache files. Anything more than "dirt cheap" isn't an option and I want to retain total control over my images...not interested in analyzing TOS agreements.