Best way to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I plan to upgrade my existing Windows XP Professional SP2 (under bootcamp) to Vista Ultimate. Is the "upgrade version" working fine or should I get the "full version" of Vista? I have not decided whether to install Vista 32-bit or 64-bit yet. Does the "upgrade version" include both 32 and 640-bit installation disks? Thanks.

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

As a rule of thumb when installing any OS, never ever, ever, ever, ever upgrade. It's the lazy way of doing things and it usually leads to problems later on (not to mention it takes up extra HDD space). The best way would be to back up anything important to you and do a fresh clean install.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

I'm sure the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate works fine, however, since there are many negative issues with any upgrade of Windows, I would opt for a clean install.

You can do that one of two ways: Purchase a full OEM version of Vista Ultimate from web a discounter (Amazon, NewEgg) or if you prefer, use Pricewatch or Pricegrabber to find the least expensive copy.

But before you make any purchase, I recommend going to the Brian Livingston Windows Secrets web site and take a look thru several of his past issues that address upgrading with Vista.

http://www.brianlivingston.com/

Regards.

4. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Does anyone else have any experience with upgrading to Vista through XP PRO. I am having the same question. Thanks

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

How do I migrate the files?

Thanks for the warning! I shall do a fresh full install. I use Winclone to backup my current XP bootcamp partition. What is the best way to migrate all the files and possibly settings from the 32-bit version of XP Professional SP1 to the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate SP1? Shall I use the backup utility found in XP to backup my files and settings. Then, use the same utility (hopefully there is one) in Vista to restore?

6. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Has anyone installed XP Pro or Home through BootCamp, and then installed Vista Home Premium UPGRADE (with SP1) through the BootCamp partition? Can you do a clean install on an upgrade, probably not but just checking. So has anyone done this, and if so, did it work okay? Thanks