Best Way to Upgrade New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nakile, Nov 27, 2007.

1. nakile macrumors regular

Got my iMac today! (20" screen, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, the basics. Although compaired to the PC world, this is mid-high end. :p)

I'm having absolutly no problems at all. Silent as a mouse, no crashing, works super great (Although I should hold my breath, I'm currently downloading the Tiger updates). You could say there is a slight granet, but it's just so miniscule that it doesn't matter at all.

But here's the million dollar question: what would be the best way to do the Leopard upgrade? Keep in mind that this is a brand new system. I would imagine that doing a plain upgrade, not an Archive & Install, would work fine.

I haven't installed anything besides the updates. Like I said, I doubt that anything bad could happen with a fresh Tiger install. This is probably how Apple test the upgrade sysetm anyway.

What are your recomendations?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You really have nothing to lose by doing an erase and install. Your call.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

If you have no data to back up and no apps installed, I'd definitely go with erase and install. Then you have a perfectly fresh install with no bits of tiger hanging around waiting to cause trouble ;)

A fresh install is always better than an upgrade, it's mostly a question of whether it's worth the trouble of backing everything up.

4. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to go with an Archive and Install. It worked great, although I do get the Spinning Beach Ball every few hours for a second or two and I've had a program or two quit on me when I try to open them. I hit retry and it opens fine afterwards. I'm sure that this isn't related to my upgrade method, but to the fact that Leopard is only a month old.

Never the less, Leopard rocks. The two second Beach Balls are nothing compared to the 12 second or longer of slow down and temporary unresponsiveness I would get with Windows XP. I'll never look at a WinPC the same way again.

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Updated to Leopard 10.5.1? Go to Software Update.

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

nakile, I got the same model that you did just this past Sunday. I went with the Erase and Install option, to ensure a squeaky-clean Leopard experience free from Tiger remnants. Of course, there is that extra step of re-installing iLife from the Tiger discs, but that was easy enough.

Leopard indeed rocks.

Funny you should mention not looking at a WinPC the same way again. I have pretty much the same opinion now, even though I activated Bootcamp. The only reason I'll be using XP via Bootcamp is for VPN/pcAnywhere (I'm on an after-hours on-call rotation at my workplace, which does not have the Mac version of pcAnywhere available yet), and for Cakewalk SONAR, a pro-grade digital audio application which will probably never be ported to Mac. I'll be doing everything else on the Mac side of things. :)