Best way to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaterSalad, Jun 7, 2008.

1. TaterSalad macrumors member

Everyone knows that we are on the verge of the 3G iPhone. I have the 1st gen iPhone and plan to upgrade, but I want to upgrade with as little cost as possible. I have a couple of ideas. Tell me what you guys think:

First, you should know that I am currently experiencing a couple of minor issues with my phone. I plan to get them fixed before my warrant ends in August.

Idea #1:

I would call Apple and tell them about the issues I am having issues with my phone. Because I am still under warranty, they would send me a new or refurbished phone. Now that I have my new phone, I would sell it on eBay. (I would possibly unlock it to get the most money) Then use that money to purchase the 3G iPhone. I would probably be out some money, but I would guess it would be less than $100. The problem with this idea is that the longer I wait, the more my current iPhone looses value.

Idea #2:

I am not sure this has ever been done before and this is where I need you guys. Has anyone called Apple saying they need a replacement iPod and been upgraded to a later gen model? Like sending in a 4th gen model and receiving a 5th gen? Or been upgraded from a 60 GB to a 80 GB just because the previous model was discontinued? If I waited to call Apple about my issues, do you think they would upgrade me because the old iPhone has been discontinued?

Those are my thoughts. Tell me which you think is better or if you have a better idea.

Thanks!

2. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

I would suggest to go with the first idea I don't think Apple will release the 3g phone right away. It will probably take a month or so before its available to the public, maybe less bu you should send the phone now and when you get it sell it right away, you can probably get $400-$450 on your phone on ebay (its going to be less with all of the ebay fees)

On the second idea, I am not sure about but I read somewhere in here that a member sent a 4gb iphone to apple and got a 8gb iphone back.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably see quite a few end up selling them on eBay.

Restarting the contract and taking the rebate on a new iPhone.

4. Meow??? macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm in the same boat. My iphone's been having a bunch of problems too. I get like 10 failed calls a day even if the phone indicates full signal and such. What I've gathered to far is to deal with in store only, never on the phone as they have full access to refurbs and such, while the stores only have what's in for replacements stock and chances are higher that you'll get an upgrade, considering most/all stores are out of the current gen model. At this point, I think ebay is getting less valuable, as more and more people are learning of possible new iphones. I think what I'm going to try to do is go to the store while they have lots of the 3G iphones in stock and try for a replacement. I know with the current gen iphones, the apple stores weren't shy about replacing phones with new stock. I'm hoping it's the same with the 3G.

5. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

apple would not send you a upgrade iphone. They always have left over stock or refurbished stock they will give to you if you say your iphone is not working.