Best way to use 8gb iPhone 2g as media controller?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Undecided, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Hey folks, so I got a 3gs, and figured I'd use my old 8gb 2g as a media controller. You know, like those fancy home theater setups that have a touchpad of some sort to control everything. I installed the Remote app, as well as the Air Mouse app. I got the Air Mouse app for controlling a mini, if I get one (I'm currently exploring all this with my laptop).

I was wondering if any of you have used an iphone to control a home theater setup, and how you set everything up to be as easy to use as possible and very home theater like.

One thing that bugs me is that the phone locks if I press the sleep button (to turn the screen off). It would be nicer if I could have it never lock.

Any ideas for using the 8gb? It's not enough to store all my music.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I use mine with my Apple TV and its amazing.

The Apple TV is certainly not a perfect device, but I have to admit that the iPhone remote app made it twice as nice, no question.

I'd strongly consider that unless you really need something the Apple TV can't do, like web-browsing. But the only thing I ever used my old computer-on-a-tv for was Youtube or Flickr, and the Apple TV does those.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You can set it so it never auto-locks.

It's in settings > general > auto-lock > never

But I think the screen stays on then.

4. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I am lucky enough to have two Macs, an iMac and a MacBook. Since getting the MacBook I have found I wasn't using the iMac as much. When I got my iPhone last month I discovered the Remote app, put two and two together and decided to get an Airport Express to allow me to play my music library from my iMac, which is upstairs in my study, on my hifi in my living room. When the Airport Express arrived it took 5 minutes to hook it up to my hifi, connect to my exisiting wireless network run by my TimeCapsule and get music playing via AirTunes. It was then a simple matter of registering my iPhone as a remote control device and my setup was complete with my iPhone at the heart of the system as the remote control.

5. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies! I actually have an apple tv now (160gb).

Unfortunately, setting lock to never just means that it won't auto lock. It still locks if you turn off the screen.

Someone should make a home theater app, to provide a simple interface to control everything and pevent the user from having to slide to unlock.

So I gather that on the iPhone end of things, remote and air mouse are the best right now.

6. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I just use Air Mouse with my laptop connected to my TV... that is if I'm using Hulu or TV.com. If I'm using Boxee, I use the Boxee Remote app. Free too :D