Best way to use accessories - confusion

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by deany, Apr 1, 2016.

1. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'm a little confused.
    Are the smart keyboards designed to be left on all the time (pro 9.7)?
    its like you 'need' four apple accessories
    1/ front cover
    2/ back cover
    3/ keyboard
    4/ pencil
    But then-
    How much is it a pain to disassemble the covers 1 & 2 to add the keyboard? How are other users doing this (the keyboard would only be used occasional use for MS word as a laptop replacement).

Thanks in advance.

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'm using the keyboard as my cover and will add a back matte skin as soon as they are out. That way I have the functionality, some scratch protection and still keep it thin.

3. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks for your reply.

As a matter of interest what kind of % use will your keyboard get?
    I'm thinking our pro 9.7 will be much less than 5% keyboard use and not wanting to add unnecessary 'bulk' if the keyboard is for only occasional use.

We are used to a soft leather case covering the entire iPad (air 2) being used up to 4 hours a day & a laptop W7 hardly switched on for MS Word writing letters.

BTW I wasn't going to buy all 4 at once- the cost is off the scale, but don't want to use the pro till its fully protected (although still have the air 2 case) but apparently the speakers will be muffled because they are in a different location, and the flash too.

Cheers

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If you aren't going to use the Apple keyboard as a cover most of the time as well, you might find that you can get a nicer keyboard for less money somewhere else. There are a lot of other kinds of keyboards on the market that work just fine. I'm using a Zagg keyboard that I purchased for my Air 1 a couple of years ago or more now and while the newer Air 2 and now Pro don't fit the hinge tightly the way the one it's designed for did, they still work fine for the limited use I need it for. The iPad can connect to any Bluetooth keyboard as well - and if you happen to have the Lightning to use adapter, works fine with usb keyboards too.

5. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks for your reply.
    We have two spare iMac keyboards I forgot about at work (everyone prefers the ones with numbers on the right hand side) They are boxed used once, from what you say the iMac standard keyboard would be a ideal via bluetooth & switch off when not in use? (totally forgot about them). Importantly saving money too.

Attached Files:

6. ianfann macrumors 6502

I picked up the Apple Smart Keyboard and the UAG case with a detectable Smart Cover. So what I did was detach the UAG original Smart Cover and snapped on the Apple Smart Keyboard. I work in a very rough environment and the UAG rugged case works well for me and at the same time Apple's Smart Keyboard and Pencil provides functionality for me on the field. I find the Smart Keyboard slim compared to a stand alone keyboard and I don't mind the bulk as I am already used to it while I am out on site. Also, the Smart Keyboard doubles up as a protective cover. I wrote this post on the Smart Keyboard and I must say that there is a steep learning curve to adapt to this new keyboard. So for now I am pecking at it but eventually I will learn and get used to typing with all 10 fingers.

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use the keyboard when I use the iPad for work. When traveling or even at home I never pull out my work laptop. I use the keyboard for emails, taking notes in meetings and for my time management program. So I would say it's pretty much 50% of the time during the week. Even at home I keep the iPad standing up on the keyboard ready to go. The only time I really don't use the keyboard is if I'm reading or watching a movie in bed.

I bought a Logitech keyboard for my old iPad and found it just so easy to use that I used my iPad more and more.