Best way to use an SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hovitos-way, Oct 1, 2010.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

Hi, I have a 2010 unibody MBP and have been given a 256GB SSD :)D) and hope to have it fitted today. I was just wondering, what is the best way to use an SSD? I am usually downloading lots of files over a day and then deleting them after use with my normal HDD, but I have read that wear is a problem associated with current SSDs and so should I just keep my OS an main documents on my SSD and then use an external HDD to store music and other files that I have to download for work on an external HDD. This option does seem a waste of the 256GB that I have available to me though :s

I am planning in the future to buy a NAS to store a lot of my data on the cloud which would help with this problem, but I'm not sure what to do before that time. Should I be worried and take special care with my data usage or should I not bother too much and just go about my everyday usage as usual?

Thanks in advice for any help.

2. Jack06 macrumors member

Personally (and depending on the condition of the SSD) I would use it as normally as you use your regular HDD.
    Most hard drives are used for many many years before they fail, and I believe the same could be said for an SSD. I wouldn't worry about extending the life of your SSD as it probably already has a life expectancy well above 10 years, just use it as your regular drive (with the obvious speed increase)
    Congrats, what a find!

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You got it for free. Run with it as normal. And enjoy it.

If you're concerned about writes, make sure the firmware of the drive is as current as possible, and if you download and delete a lot, get an external case for the drive you're replacing it and use it for files like that. The SSD won't benefit you over a USB drive if you're downloading, watching, and deleting video, it'll be just as fast to use an external...

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

What type of drive is it? If it uses the Sandforce firmware, you have nothing to worry about as they do a great job with excessive writes. I'm pretty sure Intel drives are good about this as well. Either way, enjoy it :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that you're dealing with a MBP and you lack drive bays you choices are rather limited in how you use an SSD. Short of removing the optical bay, you have to use it as your main drive.

Not really a bad way to use SSD, and when I eventually take the plunge on my desktop, that will be how I use it