Best way to use/upgrade MacPro as Windows machine

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by IceMacMac, Nov 4, 2011.

1. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I own and am quite familiar with Parallels. I've also used Bootcamp on several Mac Pros.

My question is this. If I want to run my Mac exclusively as a Windows 7 box...what's the best approach?

Should I continue to use Bootcamp or just treat it like a PC?

I'm particularly interested in upgrading my GPU. If Mac OS compatibility is not a concern...what card options might I have?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Pop in a HD, pop in a Windows disc and boot to it by holding C key down at boot or option and then choose the disc. Reformat drive to NTFS if needed and install. All you need to do with most model Mac's. If you wan to install the Windows board drivers so your clocks stays in sync and install your regular device drivers ad updated graphics.:cool:

3. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

So you suggest avoiding Boocamp, given my objective?

Any threads or links I could explore for GPU options?

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Bootcamp is not needed unless you are partitioning a single drive. Go to the manufacturer site of your graphics card and download the drivers for your card and OS. Nvidia or ATI (AMD).
    Just saw your sig. Catalyst 11.10 for Win 7, Vista, or XP, depending.

5. IceMacMac, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I very much appreciate the counsel.

I absolutely must upgrade my GPU. Where might I find a list of compatible GPUs? Or is it solely an issue of power supply?

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

If you never want to boot OS X choose any card you can find. Otherwise a 6870 seems to be the best bang for the buck and with little to no work you can get it to work with OS X if you ever want to add another HD and boot OS X again. But basically you can treat it like a PC. If it ever doesn't work right just install a created boot camp driver disc for your model and it should be fine. Mainly if device id's or firmware give you trouble.

7. toxic macrumors 68000

BootCamp is just a layer of abstraction for those who aren't familiar with partitioning and installing OS's. all you need is a Windows cd or a hard drive with Windows already installed. drivers are on the Mac install disc. after that you can use whatever PCI or graphics card you want and treat it as any other Windows box.

8. IceMacMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...thanks again guys!

9. MacVidCards Suspended

Most top of the line GPUs require an 8 pin power plug. There isn't one in a MP.

Using an adapter will work MOST of the time, until you use that high powered GPU for what it is for.

Choosing a card one step down will fit much better.

(ie, a GTX570 instead of 580 or an ATI 6950 instead of 6990 or 6970)

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to be obnoxious (it just happens), but wouldn't the best way be to sell the Mac Pro and use the cash to buy a DELL or HP?

You'd loose the nice case with easy part access, but you'd have a system with customer support.