Best Way to use your Iphone in your Car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfuk, Jul 14, 2008.

1. wolfuk macrumors newbie

I have an Audi TT and till now I used to use a tape attachment to lissen to my ipod onmy iphone in the car. My new car does not have this option now and only has a CD-player. What is the best way for me to lissen to my iphone/ipod though the cars speakers and take calls while using my car?

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

in my rsx type-s:cool: i have a new head unit with the ipod attachment so i control my iphone through the radio pretty neat

3. tdevers macrumors regular

I have an adapter made by USASpec for my Explorer. Works great. I'm not sure how it handles calls on the iPhone though. They make a wide range of adapters for different vehicles.

4. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I make calls via the Bluetooth system in my car but have to connect using a 3.5mm connector to listen to music

5. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

If only for music i use an itrip fm transmitter, for calls i use the apple BT headset

6. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

To those who have done this, no matter which way, can you explain a bit further how we go about getting this setup? Like, exactly what kind of gadget we need, where to buy, how to hook up, etc.? My car has a built in cell phone adapter, but its for some old cell phone and Im sure would be expensive to get it replaced as its hardwired into my center console. Would love if there would be something that would be easy to connect? Unfortunately I dont even have the option of a cd player as my cd changer is in the trunk.

7. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

buy a new headunit, the newer ones have built in usb ports, mine didnt since its old, so i had to buy an adapter from kenwood

8. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Check out GromAudio (http://www.gromaudio.com) I use their iPod adapter in my car and the sound is excellent CD quality. You can use your OEM headunit to control everything which is great. I have this in my Lexus IS300 and love it! Very easy to install also, just required removing OEM stereo to plug it in to the back.

You cannot receive and hear calls through this adapter, the music will fade to let you know you have an incoming call/text though.

Heres the link to purchase the adapter for Audi:
    http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/grom-ipod-vag.html

You can always switch it out for a HU that has bluetooth and iPod capabilities. The Pioneer Avic D3 is my favorite.

9. jampat macrumors 6502a

If you just want music and don't care that if it sounds pristine, the cheapest and easiest solution is the fm transmitter route. Most plug into the bottom of the ipod and you tune your car stereo to pick up the ipod. They are cheap and can work in any vehicle (or at home). You lose some sound quality though (equivalent to FM radio). A new head unit that controls the ipod is classy and easier to use, but much more expensive and much harder to set up. Good luck.

10. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

http://stores.ebay.com/Integration-Solutions - depending on which one you get, you can control your iPhone 3G, 1st gen iPhone, or any iPod (including the touch but excluding the nano) through your car's factory installed interface. It also charges, and there's no need for bluetooth in your car because if your iPhone rings, your music is faded out, and you can answer your phone as you would if you were using it with earphones. You can hear the other party through your stereo sound system.

11. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

I have the dension gateway 300 and iphone active cradle. Plugs straight in and plays all music via stereo/ charges the iphone too. I then have the dension av cable and can play the movies off the iphone on to my nice new black leather headrests..... keeps the little one busy..

Just google dension (i am in the Uk BTW)

12. lilwife macrumors newbie

13. maxraid macrumors newbie

Will any of these solutions allow me access to the iphone apps through my car's stereo? I'd love to be able to stream Pandora radio.

And I just called up the folks at http://stores.ebay.com/Integration-Solutions mentioned below and Fred said that currently, this solution does not provide power to the iPhone.

14. cantankerously macrumors regular

The G35 has a cassette deck so I use an adapter. The iphone fits perfectly sideways when the ashtray is open and the container removed. It's a perfect spot.

15. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I have a hands-free solution in my Mini with my first-gen iPhone as follows:
    - Belkin headphone socket extender (includes a microphone)
    - mini-jack cable connects from that to the audio's "Aux" socket, so car audio is now connected like it's the iPhone's headphones
    - charging cable connected to mini's cigarette lighter socket
    - iPhone sits nicely in the cup holder beside my left knee (UK, right hand drive)
    - incoming phone calls interrupt the iPod playback
    - if I'm listening to the radio, I have to switch quickly to "Aux" before answering a call

It all works. All for $40 :D

16. L3X macrumors 6502a

17. wolfuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to the person who linked to an Audi TT part....Has anyone else out there got a working Iphone they can plug into there AUDI TT (UK MODLE) and get to hear the songs and make a call via bluetooth?

18. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

that cradle can scratch the ends of the iPhone