Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
My buddy is about to move to Korea, his phone over there will probably not have facetime or fring.

What is the best way to video chat from an iPhone 4 to a computer?

Can I use fring on my phone and he can use some other app on his computer?

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
I don't believe there is any way to currently video chat between an iphone/ipad and a computer.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Geez why? I understand facetime proper has not been released as an open standard yet, but why no other apps?

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
iMovicha/Movicha but it sucks so bad its not even worth it.

It's NOT that great.. but you know what.. it works!

Thanks for the suggestion.

NOW!.. I have a way for me to 'Video' call my parents. Since they dont have an iPhone, I can get them to download that app, sign up for free.. and voila!

And.. Im on BELL here in Canada, and the feed was very well... Only a few times did it go very pixelated.. but over all great app for the time being!

Absolem

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
It's NOT that great.. but you know what.. it works!

Thanks for the suggestion.

NOW!.. I have a way for me to 'Video' call my parents. Since they dont have an iPhone, I can get them to download that app, sign up for free.. and voila!

And.. Im on BELL here in Canada, and the feed was very well... Only a few times did it go very pixelated.. but over all great app for the time being!

Have you seen yourself from the computer side???!!!! I looked like a 400 lb fatty when I'm 140

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Have you seen yourself from the computer side???!!!! I looked like a 400 lb fatty when I'm 140

LOL! yes, I did.. and your right.. It is a lil stretch wide.. but.. for the sake of ... video chatting, its alrite. Plus.. Im a skinny guy, so it makes me look jack'd.. jk jk

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
LOL

Why can't you Skype? Buy a cheap net book or something.

Well.. this is my situation.

I have an iPhone 4. I travel alot for work. I dont have a netbook or laptop, as I dont need one. I had an iPad.. but sold it a week or so ago because I didnt use it.

My parents have a netbook and laptop, and desktop PC, which all have webcams.

Whenever Im away, I'd like to 'video' call them.. you know, why not since my iPhone can do it right.. And at the current time, there aren't any other apps that will allow Video calling from the iPhone to a computer... so.. as 'basic' as this app is.. it works for me.. :)

Minus the fat head.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I can understand the situation. The wifey and I both travel frequently (she has a blackberry and we have two kids). If video was that important, a few hundred bucks is worth the investment.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I can understand the situation. The wifey and I both travel frequently (she has a blackberry and we have two kids). If video was that important, a few hundred bucks is worth the investment.

Luckily, I didnt hafta invest a few hundred bucks... lol ;)

From other posts Ive read... apparently sometime in the future, FaceTime will be compatiable with Desktop Apps, which would be BOMB... :)

Cause you know if Apple does it.. they are gonna do it right.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Agreed when face time or skype is available across multiple platforms, all this would be a moot issue. :)

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
just buy a 20 dollar webcam + Skype

seriously webchatting is like 10+ years old, I can't believe you've never heard of it before

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
just buy a 20 dollar webcam + Skype

seriously webchatting is like 10+ years old, I can't believe you've never heard of it before

Oh, I am very much aware of WebChatting with a video camera. I've been using computers steadily since 1995. I've owned my fair share of computers and addons.

What im stating is... :) being able to use my current iPhone 4, to video chat onto other platforms.. (Windows, Mac)
:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.