Best way to view .avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Surfing@Blacks, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Is there a download extension for quicktime to view avi files or should i just download VLC

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

VLC seems to work best, and had a few more features than any of the QuickTime Plugins.

TEG

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I like VLC in general, but you can also try Perian for codec plugins for QuickTime that play most formats.

EDIT: Clearly I'm not alone in my use of VLC and Perian :)

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As a side note, and to be pedantic, QuickTime supports the AVI container just fine. It just doesn't support the DivX/XviD video codecs most often used in the AVi container these days (and neither does Windows, out of the box). Perian is your best bet for that.

VLC is nice for the occasional stuff that Perian still doesn't play, but I prefer to use QuickTime player as my primary, since it's better integrated into the system (what with being the system-wide media framework and all). :)

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I use VLC for all my local videos. Works great. Except the speed of sound cannot be changed. I forgot if mplayer can do it

have you reported these "bugs"?

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I've not bothered lately. VLC, on my machine, seems to crash way too often with mpeg-4 files, so I use Niceplayer with Perian. My own experience, as simple as that, so leave it at that.

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I use Quicktime Pro and they work fine for me. I don't know if this is a feature for QTP, but I'm sure there are plugins if not in the normal version. I've also used VLC before too, which is free.

9. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

10. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Up until last week I had been using VLC. I recently discovered Perian and I am very impressed with it. I don't think I'm going to switch back to VLC any time soon.