Best way to view/organize photos

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jjk454ss, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I like the Photos app, but what is the best way to store and organize photos? Even if I have to use a web album, although I'd rather not. I'd really just like more features like having the newest show up first, and different ways to sort. I saw an app at one time for android, the pictures kind of floated by, like they were on a river, something like that would be cool.

2. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

3. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Wow, that looks awesome. Would like to hear others suggestions for this as well.

For now I use Corkulous.

4. jobyrose macrumors newbie

For photo organization, you can't go wrong with Sort Shots. It brings the power of tagging to your photo collection; once you get everything set up you'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for in just a couple of taps. I highly recommend this app to anyone trying to get their photos organized.
    :apple:
    Hope this helps .

5. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

I take a different approach, I store all my photos on Picasa web and use Web Albums to access them, hundreds of albums, thousands of pics without taking all the space on my ipad. You can also locally cache your favorite albums or pics for faster access.

With the camera connection kit you can even upload to Picasa directly from the app while on the go, then email the album link for others to see. Works with Facebook as well.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'll check these options out, thanks. And for uploading the pics to the iPad, I'm looking forward to trying the direct mode with my eye-fi card, it was released yesterday, but I haven't set it up yet.

7. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

I had very bad experience with eye-fi cards, would lose images, so I stopped using them and got a camera with GPS built in, a Panasonic ZS7. :)

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Really? I've never had a problem with mine, I've been using to for probably a couple years now. I love being able to come home, turn my cameras on, and the pics automatically get transferred to iPhoto and MobileMe.

9. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Yeah, first one went bad in a year, they replaced it, that one went bad in a few weeks, they replaced it with a different model but by then I had lost faith in them and went GPS camera.

10. Stovepiper macrumors member

I looked into Sort Shots after you mentioned it and it certainly looks appealing. Unfortunately the reviews were not that good as a significant amount of people complained about the app crashing regularly. It's possible that was fixed in a newer version though. It's a bit of a shame that the built in Photos app isn't more robust. It should at least have better album management if not full blown metadata editing.

I recently caved and purchased Filterstorm Pro, mainly for the RAW support and Lightroom/Aperture like editing features. It is a classy piece of software although a little pricey at $15. I've not had a chance to do much with it yet other than some sample edits but it seems to have a fairly robust library capability, supports multiple versions of photos, and various ways to transfer. It might be worth looking into for people seeking more Pro oriented features.

11. ScoutDad macrumors member

I'm looking for something similar too. I'm holding right now until this new app, photosmith, is released. It looks promising as it links directly to Lightroom and the screen shots look nice. Check it out on their site at:

http://blog.photosmithapp.com/index.php/photosmith-the-grand-tour/

They say it's been submitted to Apple for review and will hopefully be released soon.

12. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I use MobileMe Gallery. Just wish they'd air AirPlay to it. It's pretty darn good.

13. Stovepiper macrumors member

Thank you for sharing, certainly something to keep an eye on!

14. jobyrose macrumors newbie

hii..ya i have also read the issues regarding sortshots & its crashing but as i am using the newer version it crashes rarely but all the other features are so good that one shortcoming can be overlooked..