Best way to wipe date?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scotty56, Apr 30, 2010.

1. scotty56 macrumors regular

I'm selling one of my MacBooks on craigslist. What's the best way way to wipe the computer, making it almost new? My snow leopard disk belonged to a friend so I no longer can do that.

Is there a best way to manually delete all my files, pics, etc? Thanks guys!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can create a new account with administrator privileges, log into the new account, and then delete the old account. Get AppZapper and delete all your programs. Lastly use AppZapper to delete itself.

When that's done, go into Disk Utility and choose 'Erase Free Space'

3. ZazenZach macrumors member

If OP is worried about someone getting info off his computer, that won't work.

A hacker can easily recover files after being deleted in the fashion you mentioned.

The best way for most people is to completely erase the hardrive, and then reinstall and OS. OP is gonna need an OS disc for that though, which he doesn't have.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The ERASE FREE SPACE option mentioned by alphaod will wipe the data, as it either writes zeroes all over the empty space, or makes a 7- or 35- pas of writing random 1s and 0s on the free space.

[​IMG]