Best way to wipe HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vtyler98, Jun 8, 2012.

1. vtyler98 macrumors member

What is the best way to securely wipe the SSD on my 13" macbook air? I plan to list it for sale soon and get the newest macbook air when it comes out and I was wondering what would be the recommended way to securely wipe the data on my computer? I've read different theories but I'm not really sure which is the best way and how to do it? Thanks in advance!

2. DockMac macrumors regular

Disk Utility

Disk Utility > Select Volume to Delete > Erase > Security Options > Single Pass ... Click Erase and WAIT...

The more passes, the longer it will take.

----------

BTW, you will probably need to boot off an external drive to accomplish this.

3. vtyler98 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm when I go to disk utility and the erase tab, I see the erase, security options, and erase free space options but they are greyed out where I can't click on them?

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

That's because you can't erase the drive while you're using it. You need to boot from your install CD and then erase the drive.

Just to be clear, you wont be able to boot your computer after you do that (until you install the OS again)

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Try doing the same steps, but get to Disk Utility through Recovery HD. Hold option when booting, and select "Recovery HD."

6. DockMac macrumors regular

Yeah, either boot of an external drive or go to the recovery HD. You should be able to click them then!

7. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

You're all wrong. He won't be able to zero out the data.

8. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

From a terminal/console,

Code:
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk*
    where /dev/disk* is your hard drive. You can get the correct device by launchin

Code:
    diskutil list