Best way: Windows on Parallels to Bootcamp linked to Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Qwerty11, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

I am wanting to stat using the mac for windows games. Currently I have Windows running on Parallels 8, and obviously VM doesn't bode well with games, so I want to install Windows on Bootcamp and link it with Parallels. I am wondering what the easiest way to do this is? Delete the parallels partition? Do I need to de-register Windows so I can install it on Bootcamp? Do I need to download a fresh copy of Windows 8 and copy it on a USB prior to install or can I pull the copy already on the HD. I assume no since the executable likely no longer on the drive. Many questions! Need help!

2. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

you can't link windows to parallels and need seperate copies of windows to be installed ( one "real windows" and one virtual machine )

Also you need two keys because the "hardware" is different when you switch from bootcamp to parallels.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, Parallels can use bootcamp, but you need to install bootcamp first.

OP, you need to create a Bootcamp partition, install windows, then run Parallels and create a new vm and point that VM to your bootcamp, or select bootcamp in the creation process. (I'm not sure of the exact process because I use VMware Fusion).

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

This part is true.
    Windows 7 didn't but Windows 8 will detect the hardware change and will deactivate every time you switch from one to the other.

6. HKeleher macrumors newbie

Yes, when you start Parallels, confirmed for version 10, you'll have an option to use Bootcamp for your VM.