Best ways to keep iPhone in storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kylera, Nov 18, 2014.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

So a couple hours ago, I got a new iPhone 5C. This means my 4S has been rendered to a backup role in case my 5C gets lost or damaged and unusable. What's the best way to ensure that I'll be able to be up and running as quickly as possible in case the worst happens?

The only thing I know off the top of my head is to charge the 4S to about 60 or 70 percent, and power it down.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, about half charged is where I keep my old 5S. I do crank it up and restore it to my 6 on occasion and do updates so that I know it will be ready when I want.

I also use the cloud but do hard backups to itunes at least once a month.

I like you like the idea of a back-up phone in case the worst happens.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Thanks.

It's not the most ideal of phones, unfortunately; the battery is pretty shot given regular degradation and iOS 8 didn't do it any favors. Fortunately, I do most of my tasks on my iPad anyway so my phones have been relegated to calls and texting.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Charge it to 75%, put it in a ziplock bag and tuck it away somewhere cool and dry.

Make sure you turn it completely off "Slide to power off".

The battery will VERY gradually lose charge over time, so it's a good idea to check on it every few months.

Some people suggest keeping it in the fridge for battery longevity; I don't recommend it personally. While batteries do last longer in cold storage, you might end up with moisture condensation damaging the phone if you fridge it.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

8.1.1 just launched, which is supposed to help according to Apple.

If your battery is already best I woukdnt worry too much. Power it off, chuck it in a box, and you're good to go.