Best ways to manually back up iphoto and itunes library

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sethlution, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sethlution macrumors regular

I just ordered a new samsung ssd for my MBP which should arrive this Monday. I think I wanna start clean and do a fresh install of Mavericks since my mac partition is quite bloated. My questions are:
    -What is the best way to manually backup the iphoto library? My library is quite huge (thousands of photos) with lots of face tagged. I wanna preserve that.
    -For iTunes library, I can just copy the entire library and re-import it back right?
    -If I start fresh, do my iphone and iPad need to be re-sync with the new iTunes?

Thank you advance :)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

1. To backup your iPhoto library manually, locate the library under your Pictures folder in your user directory and copy it to your external drive.

2. For iTunes, just locate the iTunes folder in your Music folder in the user directory and copy that filer. You can reimport it into your new SSD.

3. You only have to re-sync them for the backup of the iDevice. All other sync settings will be saved.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Why not just copy your home folder to another location?
    (This assumes that all your music and photos reside within the home folder)

If you have external folders containing data files, you can "manually copy" those, as well.

Another way to do it quickly, easily, cheaply:
    Download CarbonCopyCloner (FREE to download and use for 30 days), and create a bootable clone of your internal drive onto an external drive.

I'm running a CCC backup as I type this...