Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Wondering which weather app has the most accurate, and informative data for the apple watch. I have used MyRadar a lot because it has a good complication showing temp and wx conditions. But it does not update in real time.... for example going to bed its shows 48 degrees and when I wake it still shows the same when its much lower than that.

Would like to see some of the complications for the paid apps too before I decide which to get.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Agreed. I went for Carrot simply because I like being personally abused by my weather app and constantly reminded of my lowly position in life.

If you're not into humor, then Dark Sky would be a good number 2 choice.

You can turn off the snark and have 'professional' mode instead.

Reactions: Scottgb

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I like WeatherMate. it has great complications and there are no subscriptions either!

+1 for WeatherMate, I used to use Carrot, but got tired of the "multi-tiered" subscription stuff. Went to weathermate, because it had the complications I like and it was free. This a shot of my Series 4 with the WeatherMate complication at the top center, and it gives me all I need. You can change the various segments of it if that's not what you want though. I was going to upload a shot of the various complications you can have, and their variations, but it was like two pages of data you can have, a couple pages of what it looks like on the watch faces, and then you get into each watch face and select what items of data you want. Just download it, check it out, and give it a try, I think you'll find it pretty awesome. FREE, no less!
NOTE: the 68% in the circle represents Humidity, the little "2" represents cloud cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.PNG
    IMG_0081.PNG
    91.6 KB · Views: 506
Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
+1 for WeatherMate, I used to use Carrot, but got tired of the "multi-tiered" subscription stuff. Went to weathermate, because it had the complications I like and it was free. This a shot of my Series 4 with the WeatherMate complication at the top center, and it gives me all I need. You can change the various segments of it if that's not what you want though. I was going to upload a shot of the various complications you can have, and their variations, but it was like two pages of data you can have, a couple pages of what it looks like on the watch faces, and then you get into each watch face and select what items of data you want. Just download it, check it out, and give it a try, I think you'll find it pretty awesome. FREE, no less!
NOTE: the 68% in the circle represents Humidity, the little "2" represents cloud cover.
Thanks.... just trying to figure out how to get the watch parameters to show in the complication screen
[automerge]1583937732[/automerge]
So far I can only show the weather temp for WeatherMate in the watch complications. How can I get the other complication info

Last edited:

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Thanks.... just trying to figure out how to get the watch parameters to show in the complication screen
[automerge]1583937732[/automerge]
So far I can only show the weather temp for WeatherMate in the watch complications. How can I get the other complication info

It isn't exactly straightforward. *sigh* In the phone app, go to settings, (the cog in the u/l corner), then down on the bottom, settings. Here you'll find a plethora of adjustments, and by scrolling down There's an "Apple Watch" item. There it will show which data you want to show on the watch. Going back out of that, and scrolling further Almost to the bottom is an entire section "Apple Watch". Here you can adjust many things, and one of the choices here is "Complication Center".

Attachments

• File Mar 11, 10 39 07 AM.png
    File Mar 11, 10 39 07 AM.png
    911.4 KB · Views: 687
Reactions: matrix07

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
It isn't exactly straightforward. *sigh* In the phone app, go to settings, (the cog in the u/l corner), then down on the bottom, settings. Here you'll find a plethora of adjustments, and by scrolling down There's an "Apple Watch" item. There it will show which data you want to show on the watch. Going back out of that, and scrolling further Almost to the bottom is an entire section "Apple Watch". Here you can adjust many things, and one of the choices here is "Complication Center".
Thanks!!

Reactions: oeagleo

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The customizability of Carrot complications is amazing. You can spend hours tweaking and changing them to show you exactly what you want. Great for weather nerds.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
The customizability of Carrot complications is amazing. You can spend hours tweaking and changing them to show you exactly what you want. Great for weather nerds.
Yep but I believe you pay a subscription for it besides the app.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
True. I should've mentioned that. Although, it’s literally the cheapest subscription I’ve ever seen in my life. The Tier 1 which gives you the customizing is $2.49/year. And Im unaware of any other weather app that does as good a job with complications.
4807EF75-940E-485D-897B-C621C3C74A5D.jpeg

lewisb1

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
Unfortunately I live in Canada and Dark Sky is not available. I would 1 time pay to get it but I will not pay additional option premiums for Carrot. Not too many other weather apps that I know of that charge extra after the initial payment. Feels to me they are 'gorging' the individual.

Reactions: oeagleo

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
The trouble with all of them is that they stop working at some point. Like you look at your watch and you say - nope, just not 78 degrees outside, and you can't get it to update. Or, instead of a temperature you just get a --. I've got a bunch of weather apps, including Dark Sky, WeatherMate, and Accuweather (but not Carrot), and I can get any of them to work for a while. And then nope. I always end up going back to the built in apple complications.

Reactions: tomtattoo

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The trouble with all of them is that they stop working at some point. Like you look at your watch and you say - nope, just not 78 degrees outside, and you can't get it to update.

I had this happen with Forecast Bar. So I emailed the developer... and he responded within minutes. The cure was an uninstall/reinstall. The problem was... who knows. Sync between Apple Watch and iPhone is still something of a black art. For example, of the multiple podcast apps I've tried (including Overcast and Castro with their annual subscription) only iCatcher is 100% reliable in syncing podcast content to the Watch for autonomous play.

Clearly there is some mysterious juju involved in getting the sync frameworks all apps depend-on to work 100% reliably. This is all very bleeding-edge tech, after all. So I don't begrudge Forecast Bar for that one-time glitch. To the contrary, the developer's rapid and helpful response really impressed.

Jess Ica

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
How do you get the watch face on the Apple Watch from weather mate app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.