Best Weather App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by firestone12, Jan 2, 2016.

1. firestone12 macrumors member

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Sorry, let me clarify my terse response. I hate with a passion the fact that so many people think they need an "app" for functions/information that is easily obtainable as a website. Installing apps on either a computer or smartphone should never be done if the same functionality is available from the web.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

One might suggest that clicking on the Notification Center icon is the best weather app, as you neither have to install software nor visit a web page. :)

A.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Huh why not? the app is usually streamlined and faster then opening a webpage. the app gives me more info faster and in a more practical form.

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

1) An "app" must be installed and therefore can potentially add privacy issues or vulnerabilities to your system
    2) Weather apps have had a very bad history of adding necessary, adware, background processes, etc.
    3) Adding a shortcut icon to your phone's home screen or computer's desktop is absolutely not slower than loading an application.
    4) I have "fixed" or disinfected hundreds of computers (Windows, and even Macs) over my 30+ years of IT experience and have found that "weather" applications are some of the most common initial exposures to adware, malware, or trojans).
    5) I work with professionals that relay on accurate weather forecasts daily and can tell you that none of them get their forecasts from an "app".

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

... In your opinion.

I would agree when it comes to a computer, but strongly disagree with a mobile device like a smartphone.

That is my opinion.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Well, context is important. I was expanding on IHelpId10t5's minimalist lead. In truth, my favorite weather app is "Storm" by the Weather Underground folks. Sadly they do not make a Mac version.

A.

9. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I'll agr
    I'll agree with you dwfaust. Whereas I would never download a weather app on any of my computers, I do have a few weather apps on my iPhone. "Wunderground", "SailFlow", and "RadarScope" do excel in what the do on iOS. Those are however the only apps on my iPhone for weather and I would never even consider one on a computer. The rest are simply home screen icons to NOAA/NWS pages.

10. firestone12 thread starter macrumors member

Guys, I have radarscope on my iPhone.. I love it, but they don't make a OSX Version. I wanted something like that if possible.

11. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using Forecast Bar as a menu item. It also has a Notification Center widget if you prefer that.

13. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

I use Degrees and Clear Day, both available on Mac App Store.

14. mic j macrumors 68030

I use Seasonality. I like the way it models airflow speed and direction. That makes it unique and informative. I also like the way it overlays radar, surface analysis and airflow (particle mode) all on one realistic surface map.