Best Web Design app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmw2692004, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dmw2692004 macrumors member

What app do you guys use for web design?

Right now I am using Sandvox for my business' website. Im looking into doing something different such as paypal integration, order forms, and contact forms.

What applications should I be looking at?

Oh, and I am willing to learn to use some of the new apps.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Dreamweaver CS3? That is the professionals choice, although a standard text editor will do you fine as well. Try Smultron.

3. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

I'm interested in knowing more about this as well.

I switched to a Mac a few months ago and this is my first experience creating a web site; I'm using iWeb. I have greatly enjoyed creating my first web site and am interested in knowing/doing more. I know nothing about writing code but have engineering experience so the ability to learn the necessary coding is there.....but I'd much rather concentrate on the graphical layout/content portion.

From videos I watched on the Adobe web site, Dreamweaver has the ability to code as well as a mode to design by dragging/droppping (similiar to iWeb). Can someone elaborate on this? In addition to the what the OP asked, which is the best web design app for a non-coder (but willing to learn some coding).

Web site design just seems like it could be a lot of fun....whether professionally or as a hobby.

Thanks in advance

4. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

Rapidweaver. I have been playing around with it for a while now.

5. Hates macrumors regular

Photoshop + Textmate, although for static sites Coda looks quite nifty.

6. SgtDuty macrumors member

7. motownflip macrumors regular

no clear winner....I'm interested in this topic as well. Anyone else have any input?

8. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

From A professional standpoint, to do a lot of advanced stuff, use dreamweaver CS3.

9. soctechnologist macrumors member

I'm also recently jumping into some web design with not much background. There are several threads here which speak to design apps, so it's worth reading through those too. That being said, as someone with little coding experience and not needing to do professional work, but interested in more options than the iWeb basics... I went with Rapidweaver. It seems a good, and affordable, route for my needs.

10. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The "best" is probably Dreamweaver. Nothing else is quite as extensible or flexible. But you do need to know what you're doing.

If you don't know what you're doing, and are okay with working from pre-designed templates, RapidWeaver is the way to go.

That SquareSpace site looks interesting, but hellaexpensive!

11. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

rapidweaver has plugins for what you're looking for. the contact page plugin is standard and you can buy the payloom plugin (paypal). You can get code snippets off the web and put them in too

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Rapidweaver is great - more power than iWeb but can knock out fancy sites even if you have very little experience or knowledge of web design

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Photoshop.

Some of you failed to read the question. Web design = creating the design. Developer= usually codes the layout/back-end etc.

Other than that, Coda. Don't go with Dreamweaver, it's bloated, out of date and still uses tables when it can.

14. RoninXI macrumors regular

Coda / Taco

It is up to what you are doing.

If you just want to add some basic commerce PayPal has the code for you(they have to to integrate it correctly)

If you just want to do HTML I would go for Taco HTML it has the fastest preview and now will integrate with PHP though it is a pain to set up multiple sites with it.

If you are doing multiple sites get MAMP Pro and Coda. It works best with PHP BUT when you use PHP as the extension for your file you lose auto complete for HTML (which is fine HTML is easy) but it forces auto-complete for PHP or you have to turn it off I kind of want auto complete for HTML (I know that is cheating but it make for faster coding)

I WANT to use Taco HTML
    + live preview plays nice with PHP
    -- multiple sites make this impossible.

MAMP
    + PHP4 or 5
    + Easy setup basically no setup it is that easy
    -- only 1 server (you could use 1 server with multiple folders)

I use MAMP Pro
    + easy to set up multiple servers making it really easy**
    -- It is costly if you are a beginner (us$66.67)

And Coda
    + Easy to set up multiple projects
    -- Expensive (us$79 usually $99)

**you could use the PHP built into OSX (pain in the @$$) and make projects in separate folders but I am lazy. I like lazy, I REALLY like lazy. Free version of MAMP can do this as well if you are lazy but not quite as lazy as me.

I know long post and late I just had to show my experience since noone really compared any of the ones mentioned.

15. portent macrumors 6502a

Even if you take the literal meaning of "Web design," Photoshop is not an appropriate tool. You'd do that type of "design" (mockups) on paper or a whiteboard.

16. dmw2692004 thread starter macrumors member

why does rapid weaver look a lot like sandvox?