Best web developing editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisBuchholz, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ChrisBuchholz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a developer, and I am fairly new on the Mac playground.
    I used to be a Linux user (for 8 years), but I switched to Mac a few weeks ago in search for a more "focus on my work instead of the computer"-minded operating system. I am very delighted with Mac OS X so far, but I need the best app out there for my web developing.
    On Linux, I used Gedit with some plugins, that all in all was very lightweight and only did the basic stuff like syntax highlight, code suggestion and such. Nothing fancy at all.

I have been using Coda(it is by far the best I have found on my own), but it costs money and my trial-episode is to to expire in a couple of days, so before I put money in to it, I wanna know if it is best, or if there is a better tool out there for web developing.

What do you say, guys?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The stickies in the web design and development forum is the best place to start. Different developers want different feature sets. So you know, there is a Mac version of Gedit. I have it installed, but don't use it much. If you're coming from Gedit that would mean you like hand coding (so do I). Some of the apps you'll find listed in the stickies that you should look closer at (from the hand coding perspective); BBEdit/TextWrangler, TextMate, Aptana, and Komodo Edit.

4. grapii macrumors member

A very good IDE for WIN/MAC/Linux

I too am a software developer, and although I still haven't got my mac (waiting for the MBP refresh), I use a tool that is cross platform.

Although I predominantly develop in .NET, using MS Visual Studio, therefore stuck on Windows OS, I also develop in Flex, ColdFusion and PHP, and for this I use Eclipse IDE. Which I should be able to continue on the MAC