Best webcam for Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by star-fish, Nov 29, 2010.

1. star-fish macrumors regular

I'm buying my parents an iMac for Christmas and my mum needs a webcam to go with it. She takes a lot of pictures for ebay listings and so on, so the iSight is no good for her as she needs to be able to move it around, angle it, distance it etc.

She's not the best when it comes to technology so a webcam is easier for her to upload pics from than a digital camera. It won't be used for video at all, so video quality & sound quality isn't important, but the picture quality should be above average/great if possible.

My budget is around £40 ($85ish dollars).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, or realistic alternatives to a webcam, because I'm finding it difficult enough to find any Mac-compatible cameras.

2. star-fish thread starter macrumors regular

3. edoras macrumors regular

4. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Is that mac compatible? I know Logitech only brand one of their webcams as being "for Mac"

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have the Logitech C510 connected to my Mini. iChat picked it up with no problems. Although they may not specifically say they are Mac-compatible, most newer Logitech cameras are UVC (Universal Video Class) compliant. UVC is a widely used standard for video cameras that OSX supports.

6. edoras macrumors regular

Can you have Facetime with C510?
    Yes - they also said C310 is UVC compliant.

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Err, truthfully, I haven't loaded Facetime on the Mini so I can't say. It's a bit annoying in iChat, since the Logitech software on the Windows side gives more control options, but it works fine.

8. edoras macrumors regular

Can you help to try Facetime?
    I bought a cheap camera which is not of high quality. I was thinking of getting a Logitech HD model...