Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
What site does everyone use to host their photos? I do not want to buy my own webspace, but would prefer a website like flickr or google's picasa to host my best shots. I am just looking for a no hassel free site to post the best pictures I have taken, not the entire quantity of them.

I should probably add that I am going to buy a MB or MBP after MWSF. Should I just hold off until I get a Mac and use iPhoto?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Should I just hold off until I get a Mac and use iPhoto?

iPhoto will not host your images online for free for you, it's a desktop/offline solution to organising your photos.

I use Flickr, but I don't upload many photos to it, it really depends how many photos your planning on uploading, Flickr has a 200-photo limit before your old photos are no longer visible, but still there (you'd just have to know the correct URL).

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
ClixPix mentioned Photobucket. They are free, and I used to use them, but I found that their bandwidth limits were frustrating. It does depends on your bandwidth usage though.

I use Flickr now. I paid up for the Pro membership, which allows an umlimited amount of photos, as well as increased image sizes (up to 10MB). I also find that the community aspects of Flickr are quite appealing.

Just my 2 cents.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I know you said for free, but I use .mac and the .mac web gallery. With a new mac, first year is $69.

There are better sites where you can put together better web hosting, movie hosting, picture hosting, backup, e-mail etc. etc. etc. But nothing as complete and completely integrated with all your Apple made mac apps.

Very, very easy to pub pics and vids to the gallery web site or create your own amd (in my opinion) looks nicer than the free sites (and there are no banner or side bar ads).

See http://www.apple.com/dotmac/ and especially http://www.apple.com/dotmac/webgallery.html for the out-of-the-box Apple Gallery for pictures and video posting. You can also sign up for a free trial from those links, which is how I got started.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
You can also use Snapfish. I've was using them to print my pics but have switched to Costco since I can pick them up locally. I did use Snapfish last year to share some pics with friends and it worked great.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
iPhoto will not host your images online for free for you, it's a desktop/offline solution to organising your photos.

I use Flickr, but I don't upload many photos to it, it really depends how many photos your planning on uploading, Flickr has a 200-photo limit before your old photos are no longer visible, but still there (you'd just have to know the correct URL).

I use Flickr as well. You can get more than 200 photos as well if you have a pro account (I think $24/year).

Photobucket can host videos as well.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've got a Flickr pro account, and haven't had any issues. Flickr does have a free account; so you can try them out and see if it's worth paying for a pro membership (which basically removes the limits on how much you can upload each day).

A lot of Mac people seem to like SmugMug as well.

Picasa offers a plugin that works with iPhoto - when I tried it, it seemed to work nicely.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
picasaweb for me

I've been using Flickr and Picasaweb, and for simplicity and basic overall features, I wind up using picasaweb the most, especially for sharing photos with others and for linking to forums, etc. I mainly upload using Picasa on my Thinkpad (not available for Mac... :( ) but there is an uploader available for Mac. Like most sites, there is the option to purchase additional storage beyond the 1GB free (in increments of 10GB, 40GB, 150GB or 400GB.) This storage will be shared with any other iGoogle service, including gmail, docs, etc. Video can be hosted in a picasa gallery, also. No bandwidth restrictions. All in all, pretty good for free. It doesn't have the community depth that Flickr has, yet, but your photos can be located with google, if that matters. Nope! I don't own GOOG. Just suffering through AAPL's recent swoon to the mid 170s...:eek:

wavenumber

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
What site does everyone use to host their photos? I do not want to buy my own webspace, but would prefer a website like flickr or google's picasa to host my best shots. I am just looking for a no hassel free site to post the best pictures I have taken, not the entire quantity of them.

I should probably add that I am going to buy a MB or MBP after MWSF. Should I just hold off until I get a Mac and use iPhoto?

I've been using Zenfolio for almost a year and have only good things to say about them. I switched from to their premium plan just a few months ago and it's great.

If you need a more detailed review you could check the one I posted at: http://phaselight.com/2008/01/28/zenfolio-online-photo-sharing-review/

(I'm not sure this forum allows links. If not, feel free to delete the above.)

Hope that helps! :)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I love Flickr. Its not just a hosting site, its also a community. Its great. Before that I was using imageshack, but it took super long to upload photos, one at a time.
I use the flickr export that plugs into iPhoto, than I can export as many photos as I want at a time, tag them, caption them, etc.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I love Flickr. Its not just a hosting site, its also a community. Its great. Before that I was using imageshack, but it took super long to upload photos, one at a time.
I use the flickr export that plugs into iPhoto, than I can export as many photos as I want at a time, tag them, caption them, etc.

Can anyone comment on which online services offer both:

1. Password protection AND
2. purchase-able (or free!) additional storage

I'm wondering which offer the combination of both those things.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
SmugMug!

For two reasons: great customer service and unlim storage/bandwith.

Their customer service usually respond in MINUTES.

In addition, a few months ago it was late (10pm CST) Thursday and I needed photos for a grieving family by Saturday morning. Smugmug not only pushed my order to the top of the pile at their printing facility, but upgraded the shipping to overnight/sat. AM free of charge. I got the photos 6pm Friday and was able to hand deliver them Saturday morning.

Who else would have done this, let alone free of charge? They're truly compassionate and devoted people.

Can anyone comment on which online services offer both:

1. Password protection AND
2. purchase-able (or free!) additional storage

I'm wondering which offer the combination of both those things.

SmugMug offers both; save yourself $5 and me $10 with this code: AD2YtsjXceosE .

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
SmugMug!

For two reasons: great customer service and unlim storage/bandwith.

Their customer service usually respond in MINUTES.

In addition, a few months ago it was late (10pm CST) Thursday and I needed photos for a grieving family by Saturday morning. Smugmug not only pushed my order to the top of the pile at their printing facility, but upgraded the shipping to overnight/sat. AM free of charge. I got the photos 6pm Friday and was able to hand deliver them Saturday morning.

Who else would have done this, let alone free of charge? They're truly compassionate and devoted people.

SmugMug offers both; save yourself $5 and me $10 with this code: AD2YtsjXceosE .

Thanks. I took a quick look, but will maybe try it out later this week. I like the no ads and black background, as well.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Smugmug is a bit more expensive, but feels more professional.

Flickr is geared towards sharing with a wider audience.

Picasa is good if you want to send pictures to a few specific friends.

my 2 cents...

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I guess it depends on how fancy you want to get, but I use Picasa and I have been very happy with it. It's free up to 10gigs I think and then you can pay for more after taht.

It has a PC / Mac based editing and uploading program. Then once online folks can view and order prints.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I use flickr pro. Not much money and very happy with the service. I'm not a hardcore serious photographer so perhaps there are better sites for someone with more stringent standards. But I have about seven hundred 300 dpi photos at flickr and have no complaints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.