Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
Right I've hit a point in my life where I need to get slimmer, fitter and healthier but I'm useless at these things.

Already started training 3 times a week but its the rest of the time I struggle!

Can anyone recommend any good apps to help me with my goals?

Thanks

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
Right I've hit a point in my life where I need to get slimmer, fitter and healthier but I'm useless at these things.

Already started training 3 times a week but its the rest of the time I struggle!

Can anyone recommend any good apps to help me with my goals?

Thanks
I like using the whole Garmin Connect website and app for my phone, it is mainly to track cardio activities though. It works best too when you have a Garmin watch. I love it though.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
I've been using the LiveStrong app to track what I eat, and have dropped from 210 lbs to 195 from August 1 to October 13. I'm 6'2" and 51. You select how much you want to drop each week, enter your height, weight, and activity level. It gives you a recommended number of calories per day, and has a large database of foods already so you don't have to enter everything. Be advised that some of the foods have incorrect or out of date calorie counts, but if you pay attention it soon becomes very easy to track. You can also create your own meals, for example, I typically have a waffle with peanut butter, and some flavored creamer in my coffee each morning - so I set up a meal for that breakfast, and don't have to enter each item. The Livestrong site has some great forums to look through if you're new to this as I am.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water each day!

Also, I use Runkeeper to track my jogging. I like it a lot; another similar one is iMapMyRun. Runkeeper lets you select a playlist to listen to, and you can also choose Coaching, for example I set up the workouts from the Couch to 5K program (week 1, 5 minute brisk walk warmup, then run for 1 minute, brisk walk for 1.5 minutes, repeat 6 more times). The app will voice prompt you with "beep - next interval, 1 minute, Fast", etc. You can also turn on or off other voice prompts for distance, time, pace... Your workouts are logged and the GPS shows where you went, you can review and see your pace at different times. Recommend you turn off wifi when you're using it so the GPS is more accurate.

Good luck!

----------

Also the LiveStrong site itself is frequently updated with lots of articles on fitness, nutrition, weight loss, and more.

booyaga

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
i have used calorie counter since august 1...

i have lost 65 lbs since then....

just remember that it's not the app that will make you lose the weight, it's only up to you....

it's nice to keep track of how many calories that you intake during the course of the day and also how many calories that you burn doing different activities

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have a free 5K runner app. It works off the Couch to 5k program that will get you started running up to and including running a full 5k. I did the whole program and actually ran a 5k, couldn't believe it.

Also use Loseit! for tracking calories. I'm 40lbs down so far, still going!

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
I use Tap&Track. After looking at them all, I decided this one suited me the best. You can customize and input your vitals of height, starting weight and age, track your weight, set a weight loss goal, track your calories, track your exercise to convert to calories, and sync to a website so you can view data on your computer. It has an extensive database of foods, including restaurant foods and specific brands. It tracks your favorite foods so you can quickly add them. You can create custom recipes and save them.

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
I've been using the Daily Burn for a few days now and quite like it, can add any foods that arent in there already. 4 days in and cut my daily calories by 500 :eek:

I know its not the app that will make me lose weight but its good to keep track of what's going into my system.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
I use LoseIt! and have lost over 35lbs.

It helps me track my diet and exercise

and it's FREE! I also love the online aspect...very great app and I am very grateful for it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.