Best wifi extender

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by milligan, Dec 21, 2009.

1. milligan macrumors member

I'm down in Mexico and my friends round the corner have wifi.

I've been looking at wifi extenders that I could plug into my macbook pro
    and would hope to then be able to pick up their wifi connection from my house
    rather than go round to them every day.

Does this work ok? And does anyone know which is the best one to buy?

Thanks

2. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I don't know which one is "best" to buy but I can tell you I have a Linksys one and it doesn't work very well. It's fast but frequently locks up on me. By locks up I mean my network will just pause for several minutes and then start working again. Since I just hooked it up for the first time a few nights ago I haven't had a chance to mess with it much. Right now it's located in an area where my main access point still has about 75% strength. I'm going to attempt to move it at the far end of the house and see if that helps. I don't have the model number in front of me as I'm at work.

Mike

3. milligan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that.
    Good luck
    Let me know how you get on

4. chill. macrumors 6502

5. pockyrevolution macrumors member

Not bad!

But this one has 802.11n built-in (that was Engadget's major problem with the one they reviewed) and it costs less! Also, this one is Made for Mac only!
    http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/12/21/bearextender-n3-boosts-your-macs-wifi-range-by-4x/

6. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

I'm wondering as to whether it'll work well with boot camp win 7. I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but i wish it was a bit more discreet so I can carry it around school without having to sacrifice space in my already packed suitcase.

Also curious of how it'll affect my battery life. I do need somethiing like this though for about 2 of my classes that hit the outer perimeter of the wifi range here at ucla