Best win version for games ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by UKBeast, Aug 6, 2010.

1. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am thinking to bootcamp my mbp 2010 13inch, what version of win xp is the best ? i want a light win xp cuz i will only use it for just starcraft 2. ?

2. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

The only real advantage to XP Pro is domain networking. Unless you use a domain go for Home.

The thing is... Why not go for W7?
    XP is horridly out dated and W7 just leaves it for dead in when it comes too.... everything really :p
    It's up to you, if you only going to use it for SC2 then XP will do the job,
    but if it was me the advantages of Windows 7 would swing me to installing W7 Home Premium, 64-bit if it's the 13" MBP.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I would have to agree with Kaviar. Windows XP is nearly 10 years old. Not only would you have to go through a pain in the arse install process, it's going to take you over an hour just to get it patched up with the latest updates. And that's with having SP2 and SP3 installers on hand.

I recommend Windows 7. Not only is it a more secure version of Windows and you can install all of the critical patches in one reboot, it works very well on my late 2009 MacBook Pro with the latest Boot Camp drivers. In fact, I use it as my primary OS on my laptop.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 64-bit, hands down. Your 4GB RAM will be what, 3.3GB under XP 32-bit. That's a waste.

5. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

It's all down to how much RAM your system has as a whole.
    32bit can only see 4GB in total. This includes your GPU and any RAM built in the the MOBO.

So on a 13" 2010 MBP where the GPU has 256MB of RAM you would be able to use around 3.8GB of your RAM (give ore take).

Windows 7: +3
    XP: 0
    :)