Best Windows-for-PowerPC software for POS mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ahheck01, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Hey all, I have a crappy mac mini G4 1.2Ghz, 512ram, and I'd like to run a few small windows apps. Is there a free program that will allow me to do that, and if not what's the best program out there to do so on a slow G4?

-Evan

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can give Q a spin but you're going to need a copy of Windows for it. Remember that it is x86 emulation so it's SLOW.

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

3. dsl4c macrumors member

because your mini is a PowerPC, there isn't really isn't much virtualization software available.. You can buy/find Virtual PC 7 for PPC, but I found it to run slow, slow, slow on my old G4, plus you still have to find a copy of windows to install on the Virtual Hard Drive Image you create within the program.. I guess the best thing about owning an Intel Mac is that you can easily run Windows.. sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else would have another PPC solution to running windows..

4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have a copy of VPC7 running Windows 2K SP4 on my G4 mini 1.42Ghz. I have 1GB of RAM and wouldn't recommend running on a 512MB machine.

It runs under Leopard well enough with a bit of tweaking although technically it isn't compatible and MS isn't supporting it any more. I have tried Q but it is much slower on PPC than VPC is so I wouldn't recommend it. Don't try and run XP, it is too painful for words.

My machine runs tolerably well because I have an external 7200 rpm Firewire drive for the OS to run on rather than the dog slow internal drive. VPC on a later G4 with a reasonable amount of RAM and a fast drive works pretty well with any pre-XP version of Windows.

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I'm trying out Virtual PC 7. I have an old ISO disk image of windows xp pro, but I can't install from it, because VPC won't recognize the image mounted in OS X. How do I get it to do that? I don't have any blank CD's on which to burn XP.

-Evan

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I don't think you mount it in OSX. I think you can mount it in VPC.

7. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do I go about doing that?

-Evan