Best Wintel iMac clone?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by godslabrat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

Hi all.

By coincidence, I'm working with three different people right now, trying to figure out what would be the best new PC for them. They've all been interested in the iMac all-in-one form factor, and I do agree it is a good match for their computing needs. While I can heartily recommend the iMac, I feel I'd be doing them a disservice to make it my only consideration-- I know most other companies are working on a Windows-based AI1. I've briefly played with an HP Q series, which just seems like overkill (not to mention being more expensive than an iMac!). The Gateway One series has a nice form-factor, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with GW. Dell has something similar too, but I've never had my hands on it.

If we look strictly at non-Apple AI1s, what's the best deal in terms of usability, practicality, and durability? Of course, my primary reccomendation will eventually be the iMac, but I think options are important.

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You may want to consider those slimline pcs, which are not all that unlike mac minis. I personally think :apple:'s iMac is the only all in one out there right now that really works together.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The iMac is the best all-in-one Windows machine. :D

Except when it comes to upgradeability but that's not really expected from an all-in-one.

4. n1ght macrumors member

iMac
    - Starts at $1199
    - 2.0, 2.4, and 2.8GHz processors
    - 20" or 24" display
    - Discrete video card standard
    - Only 1GB RAM (laughable)

Gateway One
    - Starts at $1299
    - 1.5 and 2.0GHz processors
    - 19" display
    - No discrete video card on low-end model

Dell XPS One
    - Starts at $1299
    - 2.2GHz and 2.33GHz processors
    - 20" display
    - No discrete video card on low-end model

The Gateway One is extremely overpriced.
    The Dell is the best choice for Windows preinstalled.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If you really want to help them out, you could say get a iMac, then put Windows on it

Possible cheaper, if they have XP install disk

6. godslabrat thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the way I'm seeing it too. Looks like it'll be between the iMac and the XPS One, with a strong personal reccomendation towards the iMac. :)

Thanks all.