Best WIRED Gaming Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So I'm going to give up my beloved Logitech VX Revolution for a Magic Mouse. Yeah, I know, if I loved my VX Revolution so much, why am I giving it up? Because I'm a sucker for new technology, that's why.

But I do realize that the Magic Mouse is next to useless for gaming (imagine trying to switch weapons with Magic Mouse's scrolling... no thanks!)

So I'm looking for a wired gaming mouse that'll be used solely for gaming. Why wired? Simple answer: cost. After paying $70 for Magic Mouse, I don't want to spend another $70 on a gaming mouse.

(Why not keep the VX Revolution? I'm thinking of that too, but I'd rather not have TWO battery-powered mice to take care of).

2. CTechKid macrumors regular

3. Chipskip macrumors member

I really like the Razer DeathAdder. It does come in a Mac version but I think any of the Razer mice would work fine.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I would just keep both. But if you'd rather not, look on Amazon, they have great prices on Mice.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I still swear by Logictech MX500 series, had a mx500, 510 and two 518s.

7. skarocks47 macrumors member

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

9. nemrod macrumors member

nemrod

Hi,

I'm looking gor a G500 but a fully operational one, does anyone tried drivers like Steermouse or USB overdrive ? thanks

10. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I use USB Overdrive with my MX518 and it works great. I haven't been able to get the two buttons above and below the scroll wheel to be recognized though. I used Steermouse with the same mouse at my last job and while it worked well, in 10.5.x it would randomly stop working until I rebooted the system.

11. VoR macrumors 6502a

Best tracking mouse I've ever owned is a logitech mx518, not sure if they're still available any more though.
    I don't have much experience of it in osx though, the (unchangeable) mouse acceleration curve makes it irrelevant - and none of the many apps/osx changes that 'try' and fix this don't work satisfactory.

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

13. nemrod macrumors member

nemrod

So there is no solution to get a fully functional mouse on OS X, even an old one like MX518.

I would like to be sure that, on a G500 :
    - Buttons are well managed
    - Resolution can be modified
    - Wheel can be switch, free or not

As far as i know, support from steermouse doesn't have even an idea, gret, i've just sent an query to USB Overdrive support.

14. TheHumphries macrumors member

Logitech G5

The tried and true gaming mouse = Logitech G5.

All my buttons work in OSX (and Windows too). The logitech control center doesn't support this mouse but it isn't needed. All 5 buttons works as well as the DPI change buttons. This mouse has a great feel, customizable weight, great length of the cord, and a great laser.

I feel it is the best bang for the buck when it comes to a mouse.

Link: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/441/135&hub=1&cl=us,en
    (They have a Blue version which I have. Looks way better. Hard to find now adays I think. Best Buy seems to have them at their stores.)

15. steerpikegg macrumors member

I use a standard PC Razer Diamondback 3G here.

Fantastic mouse, works fine on Mac, and no issues with tracking speed either.

16. Blow up tre1 macrumors member

G5

The Blue one is the newer version. I bought one and it's great. Thumb buttons need usb/steer mouse or only work with expose/spaces etc in mac.
    With Razer because they have onboard memory SUPPOSEDLY ALL their buttons do the same in mac as windows-you just need to program them in windows first.