Best wireless (and gaming) mouse for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colonelbutt, Nov 23, 2011.

1. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

At the moment I am looking at the Razer Orochi,Razer Mamba and Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

Basically I want both ultra-smooth and dpi switchable on the mouse itself.

The Orochi can use the native bluetooth for connection and is smaller, the Mamba takes up a USB slot with its own transmitter but might be better for bigger hands.

The Microsoft Sidewinder x8 also looks very nice and uses its one USB toggle but is Mac compatible.

The logitech bluetooth mice do not appear to be Mac compatible.

Anyone who has any of the above or any others, comments gratefully appreciated!

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i like razer mouses a lot, so i'd recommend you'd get that :)

3. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I'm edging towards the X8 due to its battery life and dpi display, it also has wired or wireless like the Mamba

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

I have to say that for gaming performance, I don't think wireless anything is the best choice. I have a Razer Death Adder that I like quite a bit, and when I'm not gaming, I use my Magic Mouse or Touchpad.

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I use the MX Revolution, so far not had any need to change it for anything else. I do work within OSX and am often on TF2.

6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

7. athens macrumors member

athens

Wireless and gaming do not usually mix well together. Especially in FPS. Its made worse when you have a lot of interference in the room from other wireless devices. I can't recommend a product but I do recommend making sure what you get can easily be returned if you have a bad experience with it. Wireless is different between every user who has it from working great to working poor so its hard to say this product works better then another one. Go with what is comfortable, that does what you need it to do (shape, style, buttons). And return it if the wireless performs poorly.

8. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Im also going to buy a gaming mouse for my iMac, tomorrow I'm going to pick up a Orochi for 60 bucks. Looks pretty neat with the wireless/wired mode, especially since you don't need a dongle for the wireless mode. When I'm gaming BF3 I'm just going to plug it in to prevent battery loss and get no delay what so ever, since i don't like wireless mice for gaming. Even if it has super ultra turbo boost connection, wire is always going to be faster. :)

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Orochi is a really nice Bluetooth mouse but many of its features are not available when cordless.

10. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

In my experience the more expensive the better for a gaming mouse, but my advice is just go to a shop and try them out. Mice enjoyment is a very personal thing.

11. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

It seems that to top off the gaming experience you need a good mouse mat

hard ones seem to be the best and steelseries gets the best reviews

I have gone for the steelseries s&s with the Microsoft X8

Hopefully this will be a perfect gaming experience ;)

12. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

This is good to hear. This uses its own receiver, correct? E.g. it isn't BT. I have a couple of these mice in my home, but not connected to the wife's iMac. I love the smooth-scrooling wheel.

13. WolfStrong macrumors newbie

Actually dabbing in this myself; so far I have used the Razer Mamba, Razer Lachesis, Razer Deathadder, Razer Orochi, Logitech MX Performance, Logitech Marathon mouse M705, Apple Magic Mouse, and Magic Track pad. These are my thoughts, and where I am going to head next.

Now as far as gaming, the M705, MX performance, Magic Mouse, Magic Track Pad, and the Orochi all have subpar wireless performance for gaming, and none of them work at all for this for their different reasons. I will only cover the wireless ones right now though.

THE BAD AND WHY:

Razer Orochi:
    The DPI on the Orochi was actually not AS bad (2000dpi), and I found it was "accurate enough", however the killer of this mouse and why I returned it was that after not moving for a second, it would go to sleep, and would take a split second to wake back up, and would jump to a random position. This is NOT good when gaming, and was unacceptable. Wired performance was good, but I don't like wired mice anymore. Keyboards, sure, but not mice. Other than that, it actually was a good mouse, but that was just too big of an issue for gaming! You can obviously custom program keys to do anything, which is nice, but what sucked about this is that I had to do this just to get "back", "forward", and multi-tasking things in OSX to work right, as none of this did out of the box. Plus, while the rear buttons on the side were easily depressed, the front buttons were near impossible to press without some trouble as they sat almost recessed in the mouse. Good idea with this mouse, just bad design on the buttons, and with the wireless mode.

Logitech MX Performance/M705
    I group these together, because oddly enough they seem to use the same sensor, and have the same DPI in wireless mode. Returned both of these due to only having 1000dpi, which for gaming, especially on a 27" iMac, tends to be way too low and you just can not seem to get the mouse to an exact point quickly enough. I did enjoy the Logitech software, which works great with OSX right out of the box with mapping the keys to be useful without having to tweak it like Razer. Buttons are easily pressed, and the trackwheel is awesome, I really loved these mice, but the horrible wireless performance with low DPI killed these off for me.

THE GOOD:
    Razer Mamba
    This mouse was amazing. Accurate, fast, comfortable; sure there was the problem of initially setting up the software like the Orochi, but it was such a pleasure to game with, that I can easily recommend it. Battery life may be poor, however with the docking station, charging it is never a problem. This though, in lies the reason why I returned it: the dock. You see my computer is in my room, and while you can turn off the light on the mouse, you can not seem to disable the light on the dock, so you can imagine how annoyed I was with this light glowing at night telling me my mouse was charging. Skip past that though, and this easily was my favorite mouse by far.

As of right now, I am currently not gaming, and am using the Apple bluetooth keyboard, with the Magic trackpad (returned the Magic mouse). The Trackpad is a joy to use for every day computing as I find it to be more accurate, and fun to use than the mouse. Right now I am waiting for Guild Wars 2 to come out, and will again start to game, and plan to give the Logitech G700 a try. Good DPI like the Mamba, no dock to fiddle with on my small desk and keep me up at night, and great ergonomics. If that doesn't shape up, then I will just get the Mamba again, but somehow I think I am going to really enjoy the G700 as I have all my previous Logitech mice. Also plan on getting a nice mechanical keyboard as well, but that is an entirely different story.

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Gaming on a wireless mouse is cruel and unusual. ANY of them have lots of lag regardless of how many snakes they paint on them.

15. WolfStrong macrumors newbie

Lag, yes. Lots, oh no. The Mamba was amazing responsive and unless you are a serious hardcore gamer, you would never know it. From what I've heard the g700 and the RAT 9 are the same as well

16. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Thats why you get one that you can use in wireless mode for casual surfing and wired mode for gaming ;)

17. colonelbutt, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

thanks wolfstrong
    the mamba does look nice
    I will consider it next time (seemed a bit pricey, but perhaps you get what you pay for ?)

my sidewinder X8 has arrived (not the steel series mousepad yet)

quick feedback. There is NO lag, its excellent
    Really, all the comments above do not apply to this mouse (and I assume the Mamba as well)

I was a bit worried when it arrived as it seemed bit plasticy.

The good side to the charging is that it is charged by a usb lead from the computer (which is good as you can run it wired if it runs out of juice, and it charges at the same time).
    However the bad is that USB charging is slow and the iMac switches off USB port juice when it goes to sleep or switches off

So I just charged the AA battery in a charger I had lying around ...

In terms of dpi, switchable on the mouse is extremely important for a 27" screen
    I have just been running counterstrike source at full res. and 4000 on the X8 is just right. The buttons on the mouse allow you to step down in game which is useful for sniping

18. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Oh forgot about those. They do look nice and solve all my gripes. So is optical still better than laser? I am low sense player (400dpi, Win 5/11, In game 25-30% setting)

19. doktordoris, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I disremember the name of the gaming mouse I used to use, it was made by MS but with licensed tech, it has a snakey name. But I went for a wired mouse, I didn't want even an iota of lag to affect my gaming. I also inadvertently spilled a foaming flagon of nut brown ale into it and it died. I rang MS and explained my problem and asked if I could perhaps buy a new one at a cheap rate as the one I drowned was only a week old, the lady on the phone said, and I paraphrase here "tish, and bibble, no matter allow me to send you a new one" and she did. That sort of customer service I expect, and receive from apple, but to get it from "the other side" was a pleasant surprise.

Doris

20. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

my steelseries s&S mousemat arrived today

I have never used a gaming mousemat before

However I can say that if you don't you are wasting the mouse
    its amazing the difference. The mouse is gliding over the surface

21. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I like the Mamba I owned but I found the battery life insulting. I returned it months ago and haven't look back. My wired Razer Diamondback is the best mouse I've owned, 7 years old and still going strong.