Best Wireless Backup Setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

What would you recommend as a wireless back up set up for my Mac? (In conjunction with Time Machine.)

750GB external + airport express?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Extremely over priced. You can get a 1TB HDD with the same specs as the one used in their for $130 on Newegg. But they charge a $300 upgrade from the 500GB! It should be like $70 more. Far too overpriced.

No questions asked.

AEBS tickles my fancy, though.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I use the AEBS + Ext. HDD, very nice but can be a bit slow with backups (I have it set for manual back-up) the first back should definitely be done via ethernet though.

5. danbalsh macrumors regular

I'd have to disagree... for Macs Time Capsule is amazing, but for Windows (and mainly Windows Vista) its not so good, there is very little backup software that works well with it... even the built in Windows Backup won't work correctly, which means added cost buying other backup software.

Maybe Windows 7 will work better....

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Wireless networks are not up to the job of regular file backups. They're designed to transfer small amounts of data in sharp bursts, such as when browsing web pages or transferring one or two files. They simply do not have the speed required to give reasonable backup performance.

Time Capsule is overpriced garbage. Not only is it one of the worst routers I have ever had the misfortune to use (it might work fine with your Apple gear, but good luck getting it to talk to something else on your network) but the hard drive in the one I got failed on me. I'm glad I got a refund for it.

I recommend getting an external hard drive that connects with FireWire or eSATA.

7. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't have a lot to backup, so after the initial backup, backing up some files daily shouldn't be incredibly difficult over Wifi, right?

Do you recommend AEBS?

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You'd think so, but if you go with Time Capsule or AEBS then you will have to endure lengthy periods when the system is "preparing" the backup (basically checking what is on the destination drive already and comparing it with what you want to back up). This is much faster over a wire.

9. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

So do you recommend manual back-ups? :(

10. mdgolom macrumors 6502

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, I recommend connecting a hard drive to your computer using some sort of wired connection.

Performing backups wirelessly is like entering a Mini into a race where the rest of the cars are Ferraris. Yes, the Mini will eventually finish the race but will it even be close to the other cars? No.