Best wireless mouse for MBP? :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stormquist, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Stormquist macrumors newbie

Hi!

I ordered my MBP 15" (Core i7 2.66GHz, 4GB, 500GB 7200 rpm, antiglare) a few moments ago and right now I'm looking into buying a wireless mouse for it.

I'm fairly new to Macs apart from fiddling with my gfs MBA from time to time, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should take into consideration when picking one out?

I do some light gaming (starcraft 1&2) so what I need is a gaming oriented mouse. Or atleast one with more than 2 buttons..

Any suggestions?

PS- I read the Razer Orochi thread on here and I didn't want to ressurrect it since no one gave a definite answer and since the last post date was in April.

Thanks,

2. sergus macrumors newbie

Touchpad? :D At least it works in Portal for me. :D

3. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL!

After my Acer laptop died a few months ago I've been playing Starcraft1 on my netbook using the trackpad. It's not pleasurable:eek:

4. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

I use the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000. Works pretty good, very precise, and the presenter controls work with Office.

I've plyed STO with it, and it does good. I've thought about getting the Magic Mouse, but really have no reason too as this mouse does everything I need.

5. parkjoony macrumors newbie

Logitech anywhere mouse mx
    darkfield technology which makes the mouse able to track on glass
    micro usb receiver that you hide inside the mouse when you carry it around
    even comes with a leather case that you can can put the mouse in to travel with
    Has the hyper fast scrolling that you use to scroll ultra fast if needed.
    Same looking design as the logitech vx nano i believe

This mouse is really good overall
    The only thing i can mention about the con of this mouse is probably the battery life. I'm using a 2200 mah energizer rechargeable batteries and lasts about few months (i use it lightly and I'm still at 35% of battery life after 3 month so far) with light use.

Amazon or staples does a lot of sales on these so you can probably get the price down to around $40.

P.S. I also own an Apple Magic Mouse. The design and innovation is great but is it not very ergonomic and the battery life in the magic mouse is worse than the darkfield technology using mouses from logitech. I would recommend the logitech mouse over the apple magic mouse.

6. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i have a targus laser rechargable bluetooth mouse. Its terrible. It turns off randomly. I just recieved a brand new one thats still in the packaging from the warrenty on it. I'll be selling it.

get a "magic" mouse, i've used them before, its what i'll be replacing mine with

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Lol I beat Portal with only the trackpad. Works really well. As for a mouse, I really like the Magic Mouse for productivity especially when you download utilities to make custom gestures like BetterTouchTool.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Magic mouse is great, I really love it. Beating Portal with the trackpad? that sure isn't and easy task, good for you...

9. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

10. Durazing macrumors newbie

Razer Orochi. Imho best BT mouse available by some margin. USB optional, high dpi rates, good preference pane.

11. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

12. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it fully work with a mac though?
    I've read things about all the features it brings not working in osx.

13. Durazing macrumors newbie

yup fully functioning in OSX. 2.0 of the drivers released recently has full functionality. Most of the reviews are out of date. Just like the Windows version you set it up in USB mode and it saves settings.

14. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

That settles that then, ordering the orochi!

Thanks for making my first venture on a mac forum a pleasant one:D

15. aigoya macrumors member

orochi is a hefty price tag for a wireless mouse.

I think it depends what situation you'll be using your mouse. If it's wireless and your main mouse, why not. Personally I only use my 10$ microsoft wireless mouse at coffee shops, my gaming setup for desktop, and trackpad for everything else.

For desktop i would highly suggest wired mice. And if you prefer razer, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you do your researching. Example: the imperator and abyssus are noted for having 'jittery' vertical movement on certain cloth pads.

As for starcraft1/2, the top mice currently seem to be:
    1. logitech mini optical mouse
    The rest// mx300/g1, microsoft wheel mouse optical... typically smaller sized mice for finger tipping the mouse so you don't have to move your whole arm when trying to drag-select units.

That's just my 2 cents!
    Cheers

16. apple.gr macrumors regular

I would say that if you don't want to play games the multitouch trackpad is what you want and your new laptop has it already! ;)

Try it first and if it is not enough for you, then buy a bluetooth mouse!

17. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input, I'm well aware of the pricetag that comes with one of these orochis, but it's safe to say that I threw all concepts of hefty pricetags out the window(s?) when I decided to go with an MBPro over a much more powerful PC which would have cost me less :p

Bougth the orochi as I've been happy with previous razer mice, if I don't end up liking it I can allways sell it :)
    Up untill now I just hadn't been sure wether or not all it's functions would be supported so I believe I'll be happy.

18. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

Ditto! I'm really very happy with this mouse!

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

How did you get it to work properly? Third party software?