Best wireless mouse for my mother with arthritis?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaperQueen, Nov 27, 2009.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Hi all,

At long last, I have my mother dipping into the modern world, the proud owner of a new MacBook. What didn't cross my mind until I began teaching her how to use a computer is that with arthritis, the drag-and-drop movement is tough...truthfully, it's next to impossible on a trackpad unless she uses one hand to click/hold and the other to drag.

I'd love to give her a wireless mouse for Christmas, alleviating the pain and awkwardness of drag-and-drop. Need to keep it simple since I doubt she ever becomes a hard core user. ;)

Is the new magic mouse a good fit, or too sensitive/complex for a new user with limited flexibility? Or is it actually the perfect option? Is there a better option out there? Really need your collective wisdom here.....

Thanks in advance, all. You're the world's best brain trust.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The new MM is not good if you're looking for ergonomics. I know this from using it daily for hours and hours a day. I love the mouse but I wouldn't think someone with hand problems would like it. I suggest the MX Revolution. While it may have various buttons, she doesn't need to use them or even program them. Out of the box it will be very functional.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Then change user input method. With the trackpad, mark the files and go up in the menu to copy and then go to the place you want and insert. Or use keyboard shortcuts. My mother doesn't want a mouse for the same reason and use the trackpad instead. It takes longer time but for some it's the only comfortable way to use the computer. Give it a go before you purchase a mouse.

4. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

You just nailed what I was concerned about. I'll check out the MX after having Mom try the copy and paste option Frosties suggests.

Funny...it never occurred to me to use copy/paste to replace drag-and-drop actions (which will typically be used to move saved emails into specific Mail folders). Guess it's my short-sightedness, stemming from 25 years of building my own habits on Macs. Oops!

Thanks, you guys. I really appreciate it!

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

One other thing to test out is using right click (two fingers) on the new track pad. That gives you menu options also and saves going up to window menu. Hopefully you and your mother find an input method that works for her hands. My mother has the older track pad and use the mouse buttons on the track pad but not the tap function on the pad itself (tap is turned off). She got false mouse presses with the tap on.

6. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

The solution

Just realized I never followed up to let you guys know what I purchased and how it went over.....

In the end, I settled on a Logitech Performance Mouse MX, which admittedly, has a lot more bells-n-whistles than Mom will ever use, but the comfort level was fantastic. She continues to comment how easy it is to use, and what an improvement this is over trying to deal with the trackpad.

Whew!