Best Wireless N Router/Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by covertsurfer, Feb 24, 2010.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I am after a Router Modem for use in the UK with my ADSL. I want 'N' so I can stream my videos. The Wireless G I have is ok but stalls through films and rebuffers on the AppleTV.

I have seen the Netgear WNDR3700 but the reviews say the speeds they get are only 60mbps which I dont get as its supposed to be 600mbps.

Can anyone give any recommendations?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The speed issue is highly dependent on service provider, configuration, and application. Essentially one review stating they only get 10% of theoretical bandwidth is useless.

The Airport Extreme Base Station will be very easy to set up, but it's more expensive than most "n" routers. I don't know, how good are you at setting up home networks? I don't have any problems with the Netgear 3700 myself.

3. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

miles01110 - I think their speeds were streaming speeds not ISP download speeds. What are your speeds like? I would get a Airport Extreme but it has no modem in it to connect my ADSL and I dont want 2 boxes.

4. SquintKid macrumors newbie

There is a good Linksys Wireless "N" for under $90 US. I got this over the Airport Extreme because of the price and works fine with my 3 macs and 2 pcs with a wireless printer.