Best Wireless N Router??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

What's the best Wireless N router? Factoring in price and everything.

Airport Extreme?

2. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I would also be interested in what people post / suggest on this thread.
    I am on the verge of buying one, and have been carefully thinking of the 500 GB time capsule. I had the 1st gen and sold it when 2nd gen came out, but haven't purchased one yet.

So I'd either vote for the Airport Extreme or the Time Capsule if you need backup as well.

3. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Depends on what you define as "best".

When I was researching them last year when I bought mine, the D-Link DIR-655 was the "best" in terms of highest speed, for the money. I am sure that new versions have come out recently, with faster speed and better options.

Consider a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme if you want the ease of setup like most of Apple's software/hardware, but keep in mind that you will end up paying a premium for the :apple:Tax, as well as for some features (5GHz/2.4GHz) that you may not really need. Check out CNet for reviews and speed tests; they were a good resource when I was looking around, and are a little less Mac-biased than people here will be.

4. Michael Smith macrumors newbie

http://smallnetbuilder.com is another good source for objective reviews of this sort of equipment.

(not affiliated, just a happy reader)

5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've deployed both an Airport Extreme Base Station and a Time Capsule.

I'm very happy with the ease of administration, and the throughput of the connection. They're definitely not the least expensive though.

The added benefit of having a 3 port gigabit switch in the back is very nice as well.

6. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

I personally like the D-Link routers. The easiest to setup. Though I have owned a total of 3 of them because they kept frying on me. But that's probably because I keep having to reset by just unplugging the power adapter in the back which is an improper way to reset any electronics.

But yea... I keep buying them though. I just bought the D Link DIR 628 a couple of days ago because the DIR 615 died on me :(

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Do not buy an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule - they are temperamental and may have problems with your computers or other devices if it doesn't have the fruit icon on it.

They are also extremely overpriced and have poor range thanks to them not having an external antenna. Most importantly though they require proprietary software to configure - most other routers can be configured using any web browser, but oh no, Apple has to "think different" and mess people around by asking them to install software they wouldn't need with another router.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I didn't want to pay the :apple: tax but I got a couple gift cards and the $$ I was going to spend on another brand router made up the $$ to get the Sim Dual Band AEBS I have in my sig... it has had no lost connections or weak signal in many months since I set it up and the "new" features were also pretty good.

I was considering a belkin N+ but had thought about the AEBS for a long time and I had the $$... I've been happy with it so far!

I would NOT recommend the :apple: express though, that has lots of dropped connections and it was NOT upgraded like the full size AEBS was a couple months ago.

Good luck with your decision.

9. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

I've being doing loads of work around Wireless routers recently and IMO the best one out there is the Cisco/Linksys N Ultra.

It's incredibly reliable and also comes with a built in piece of software called Lela which is due to rebrand soon to Network Magic which allows you to remotly manage your network and approve whether you want a new device to connect to your network on not and will also self troubleshoot if anything goes wrong. :)

10. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I have to 2nd that...i have a few Linksys Ns and Gs and I reboot them like once every 6 months...and they work with a variety of devices.

Cheers.

-J.-