Best Wireless Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adm531, Jun 3, 2009.

1. adm531 macrumors member

I'm looking for the best wireless printer for use with a macbook within a £200 price limit. I want one that has a good scanner, can print photos on photo paper, print from a memory card, but is also a good copier/printer.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

2. Silv3rF0x macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

I have been wondering this my self but I been looking at HP Wireless one

It is a All in one Scanner/Fax/Copyer/Printer

I to would like to see what people are useing out there.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You might want to avoid HP's. Their drivers are bloated junk, and the consumables are too expensive. The ink cartridges are chipped, and will expire if not used in time, even if almost full.

Other members seem to like Epson a lot for inkjets. I'm not so sure about who has the best wireless inkjet AIO's, but I've had good luck with Brother lasers.

If you search the forum, there's a few threads where you can find some, if not all the answers you seek. :)

Good luck. ;)

4. hndn macrumors regular

I have Brothers MFC: scan, copy, fax, print. It's been 4 years & still running. I only use it to print document, no photo (not a good photo quality printer) so I use cheaper ink from Amazon. I love the machine, cheap, good wi-fi, plus, MB has the driver built in.
    I bought 3 for each of my sibling, oh yeah, they're all 4 years old :)

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Canon is the brand to go with. I have their wireless laser printer (HL-2170W). It's not an all-in-one, but it works great with my MacBook.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm using the Brother MFC-9450CDN. No wireless capability, but runs great on Ethernet. :D Cheaper on supplies than HP as well. ;)

7. lordjimy macrumors member

lordjimy

I bought Canon MP620 two months ago. The text and picture quality is good so i'm happy with it. I checked some reviews and almost all reviewers says it's a good printer. I recommend it.

My friend bought Brother MFC-490cw and he's happy to. Brother has more functions but canon has better photo print.

8. GraphicRhino macrumors newbie

I heard canon was the best ... not sure though. I'm shopping for one too.

9. cube macrumors G5

Canon are reportedly the most solid printers. I was going to the the MX850 (which also prints discs) instead of the MX860 (which does not print discs but it's wireless), but because they cannot FAX from Mac I gambled on the HP Photosmart Premium All In One C309, which has been working well so far.

Also, with a bit of luck, there's a big HP cashback in your country.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have the j6480 which was marketed by HP for a while as one of the best printers *ever*, and indeed it is. 100% wireless and the drivers for OS X are pretty robust. Anything is possible-scanning, printing, fax!, reporting. Anything you could want to do is able to be done.

Refilling the inks is too easy. I do agree, for normal users it is a bit of a pain because the printer DOES inaccurately report ink levels, based solely off of page count, not off of actual ink. However, the printer will still fire the cartridge heads even if the printer thinks it is empty. I've refilled my stock cartridges 4 times without a hitch whatsoever.

Epson's require chip resetters which makes it difficult for novices who don't know how to source such materials.

11. chandler99 macrumors regular

I've got a HP Photosmart C7280 All in one. And its awsome ;)

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm under the impression the J6480 is rather new. How long have you had it?

HP definitely has chipped their consumables in the recent past. It would be nice if they've quit, but I'm thinking you've just not hit the expiration date (set at 2yrs).

Though the ability to refill and go is nice, so it's good to see it return. Worst case, you'd be able to continue to refill for awhile yet. By two years, you'd likely need new cartridges anyway. :p

As for the software, I've not used this model, but the all the one's I've used over the last few years have gotten really bloated. Especially on the windows side. Linux is a craps shoot, and OS X can be as well as I understand it.

Looking around the net, I see complaints galore on the high cost of consumables. Likely they aren't trying to refill themselves, as not everyone is willing.

13. arholmes macrumors newbie

Another vote for Brother printers. I have the Brother MFC-465CN printer I bought a little over a year ago and have been extremely pleased with the results of the printer and the ease of setting it up using ethernet. One of the reasons I like the Brother printers is the design. They are a little slimmer than the other brands and not as bulky.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was a huge canon fan but got tired of the print heads breaking every 3 - 4 years...the prints were great but I just didn't use enough color to want to keep replacing them all the time...

In comes my brother 7840W MFC AIO Laser - toner and drums are cheap as they are separate from each other and I liked the unit so much I also got one for a couple of the small offices where I work that don't merit a full size copier...

I also bought a cheap HP 7160 with ethernet capability for the color I need to print as the cheap canon printers switched back to combo ink tanks (the HP uses H02 cartridges that haven't changed in years were the canon cartridges seem to change with every new model and if you have any stock of ink it becomes worthless:mad:).

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love my Samsung SCX-4500. I just set up a wireless one for my dad's office...seems just as great, much less of a pain then any of the HP's that have shed the wires. One downside is no color, but it looks better then any printer on the market...