Best Wireless Router for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thehopscotch, May 21, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I have read of wireless router issues with MBPs. I have the 13in, 2.26, 2GB (upgraded to 4GB) MBP. When I first got my MBP, I was having to continuously disconnect and reconnect to my router. I assumed I was having the same problems as others on this board have noted.

Soon after, however, my work laptop (PC) started having connection issues as well...and I have to perform the same process on it...disconnect, reconnect via the laptop, and then everything will work fine for anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours. (Note: on the MBP, things only work fine for 5 mins or so before I have to perform the action again). It seems as though the MBP is more sensitive to the router issues than my PC.

Nonetheless, I am planning to purchase a new wireless router, since mine clearly has issues and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

My question: Is there a particular router that seems to work better with MacBook Pros than others? Any that you guys would specifically recommend? (I need it to still work fine with a PC, as well, because of my work laptop)

Thanks in advance!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple Airport Extreme.

A little spendy but works great and I plan on keeping it for a while (since the warranty is perpetuated as long as I have a mac in the house)

3. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

D-Link DIR-825

Does 5Ghz N and 2.4Ghz B and G
    Can do both frequencies at the same time.
    Will last more than a year.

I love Apple, but their airport extreme router is junk.
    (Yes, I've owned two of them, including a Time Capsule)

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This has worked flawlessly for me with all of our computers (both mac and pc) and DVR's...never a single problem in over a year...best router I have ever owned (and I have owned several makes and models)...

5. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

Indeed, worth the price for sure

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have no complaints about my Time Capsule--an original production model. It works flawlessly with my iMac, with my streaming music on Airport Express, with my iPhone, and with some recent guests and their two Windows 7 laptops.

7. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the Airport Extreme is the overwhelming winner. Appreciate the feedback!

8. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

They work great when they work.
    I may have just gotten a couple bad ones.
    Had the same thing happen to each, though... Wireless kept getting weaker until it quit working.

The Time Capsule still works great as a backup (Now Wired, and routed through my new wireless router)

If that many ppl say it's good now, then it may just have been my luck.

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

My linksys router is perfect. no disconnects or slow speeds ever. if i had extra cash laying around i would probably get the apple airport extreme just to "match" my mbp :p

10. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

My time Capsule 1st gen runs printer(s), MBA, iMac, MBP 13", Ipads, Iphones, 3 attached external D
    HDs, Apple TV and PS3 flawlessly, although the time Machine portion has the occasional brain fart.

11. Moocher macrumors regular

I've worked with a few, but not a lot of routers. By far the easiest to set up and maintain have been by Apple. I currently have an early Time Capsule (with a new 1.5 TB drive) and two Airport Expresses. The TC puts out a 5 GHz [sic] n network. One new express is attached to the TC via ethernet cable and puts out both g and n 2.4 GHz networks. The second old express extends the g network. (For some reason, my house eats wifi.) The newer Airport Extremes can run separate g and n networks simultaneously at both frequencies (if I've read correctly), so this would be simpler if I had a newer unit. I run a lot of stuff off these routers, including a windows machine. Everything works fine.

My wife is a tech nut and has a tech job in a Windows environment. She also prefers the Apple routers.

Depending on your situation all you may need is an express for $99.

Mooch

12. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Anything will work.. I use a cisco linksys that has all this connected usually at the same time and it NEVER goes down
    • My 13" 2.4GHz 2010 MacBook Pro (Which I LOVE)
    • Mom's HP Laptop
    • Dad's HP Desktop
    • My PlayStation 3 (That thing brought down the network everyday on my OLD router)
    • Brother's Nintendo Wii
    • Mom's Nintendo DSi
    • Brother's Nintendo DSi
    • Other brother's Nintendo DSi

That's 8 things. And it NEVER goes out. I got it at Best Buy. GREAT deal. No regrets whatsoever!

EDIT: Here's the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Linksys...=9207645&st=Linksys Router&contract_desc=null enjoy your new router (hopefully)

btw.. Apple's Airport Express was designed for Apple products use. I had one and all my Mac stuff worked fine, but PCs always dropped connection. So if you have mixed (like me) I HIGHLY recommend my router. But if you're all Apple. Go with the Apple Airport Express.

13. BeestieHalls macrumors member

I spent a lot of time researching which router I needed for my mac. In fact, we only have macs.

Airports are really over priced, and like someone said earlier they might not be so hot for devices aren't Apple.

I purchased the Linksys E1000. Its one of the newest versions of Linksys routers. I got it at best buy for about 60 bucks. I couldn't be happier with it. Its easy to set up, very fast, and it hasn't dropped a connection yet. Not to mention its fast when starting up and getting on.

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

IMHO Airport Extreme is an overpriced router.

I have a cheap D-Link 802.11g router. It works perfectly. I don't stream 1080p videos on the network, so the 54mbps speed isn't an issue.

Plus, it must be dirt cheap by now.