best wireless router for mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heron88, Jul 1, 2008.

1. heron88 macrumors 6502

I was just wondering what the best wireless router for the Macbook Pro is not including apple wireless routers.

2. MusicallySilent macrumors member

My friend has a late white imac and a new MBP purchased today

He has this wireless N router
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

Here is his situation.

His cable modem is in the basement and he has jacks in the basement with wires to various places in his house.

Old setup
    Modem->Belkin Wireless Router (4 10/100Mbit)->Jack->Upstairs->100Mbit switch->Imac

New setup
    Modem->Belkin Wireless Router (4 10/100Mbit)->Jack->Upstairs->Dlink Router->Wireless N->Imac (30-40 feet away)

The new setup beats the old setup and both of them are being bottle necked by the 10/100Mbit belkin router. Apparently it is very powerful and good throughout his house.

3. Fenir macrumors regular

Linksys wrt54gv1 (old blue box) and v2 (newer, sleeker black box) give me great range with my MacBook. Either way, all current routers do great jobs.

4. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

are there any more suggestions. i am currently getting my MBP replaced by apple due to massive wireless issues. if the problems continue i may have to look at replacing my wireless router. currently i am using a dreytek 2800VG modem router. but if i get a new router (i will keep the dreytek for modem and voip) i want one that is compatible.

so can i get some more recommendations of good routers compatible with an MBP

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I use a AEBS. I tried a cheap one from Office Depot and kept getting dropped. I then tried a Linksys WRT54G, which was OK at best. I bought the AEBS and couldn't be happier. The speed is incredible, as fast, if not faster then when I had the Macbook. It doesn't hurt that I live across the street from the Qwest Switch Station.

6. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

usually wireless cards in laptops tend to work better with routers made by the same company ( a lot of people told me this, even a apple employee). my airport extreme works "extremely"( get it, hah ha) well with my mbp. the airport extreme is awesome and worth the money.

7. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

how good are airport extremes at going through walls and stuff.

8. iphonematt Guest

i recommend Apple's AirPort Extreme. The range lasts through my entire house, and even across the street. You cannot beat the signal of the AirPort in such a small package. I had an old D-Link that was a piece of crap. Of course, i only buy apple anyways but whatever.

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

if you only buy apple..
    how credible is your "extreme" review? comparing it to... NOTHING!

i use the extreme as well.
    if the OP needs something non APPLE i suggest NETGEAR N MIMO, around $100 at best buy or cheaper online.
    no major issues connecting with my MBP ( current generation released last Feb)

the only advantage when you get the APPLE Airport Express, is you can hook it up with your speakers/ home theater and listen to your itunes wirelessly.. and it's handy, so if you travel a lot, this one is a better choice.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Pretty sure you mean the Express can hook up to speakers, NOT the Extreme.