best wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nibuoy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

Hi all
    My current wireless set up includes 2 routers, an old d link and linksys, running one off the LAN port of the other. However, there has always been problems with them, and especially now, they are failing increasingly often. I need a new router, and would prefer to use 1 instead of two, but my apartment is quite big, and the the only wired port is inconveniently in the back of it. (For 1 router, I would probably need a radius of around 100 feet, going through multiple walls.

I currently have 2 PC's, 2 Macs, and 3 iphones, and was wondering if I should try the airport extreme. Will it fit my needs?

Are there any other routers I should consider?
    Should I go for two router again (must be under 200 total)

thanks in advance

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is now an almost universal consensus that Apple routers are rock-solid and just about the best available. The puts the Apple Airport Extreme head and shoulders above any other router out there.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I have a time capsule and I have to say it's the best router I've ever owned. Apple's wireless tech really is solid.

4. Alan64 macrumors member

My old Linksys and Netgear routers used to loose their connections regularly. I was constantly having to re-boot them. I've had an Airport Extreme for over two years and that's NEVER gone down!

As for range, every router has limitations, and one Extreme may not be enough for you. We've got an office in our detatched garage, so we needed to add an Airport Express to extend the network. An Extreme and an Express together would be above your budget. I say buy the Extreme, set it up and see if it covers your whole apartment. If not, you can return it.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

depending on the model your existing routers, check out dd-wrt, it's a linux based firmware that runs on several models, i've been using it for quite a while on a probably 6 or 7 year old linksys with no problems.
    It might not fix anything, but it could extend the life of your existing units.

if you want new, for your second unit, an express would be all you need. for the main, an extreme would do it.

6. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies
    I'm gunna get the extreme.
    If I do decide to also get an express, will it extend the network?
    And will it work wirelessly?

In my old network, the 2 routers worked on two different networks, which was a pain when moving from one side of the house to another

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

it will work wirelessly, but if you already have the cable run, you can set the express up as a second base station on the same wireless network.

just put the express in "off (bridge mode)" and give it the same SSID and security, your devices will automagically switch to the stronger signal as you move around the house.

with wirelessly extending, anything connected to the remote base will run at about half speed, the repeater station will be using half of it's wireless bandwidth to talk to the main base, and half to the computer. Plus it will draw bandwidth off the main base.

8. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I've owned all of the airport extremes, starting with the UFO, and I've just replaced my simultaneous dual band with a linksys E2000 running DD-WRT. The extreme didn't like something about what my kids' cyberschool programs were doing, and would reboot every time they started doing their virtual classroom stuff. I left an express on the network to handle the 5ghz network, but my 2.4ghz network is off the airport. It still has a minor issue with netflix (ok, it's a significant problem) and dns-masq but that's resolved by manually setting the dns to google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4) for the devices that are accessing netflix.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...among people that have never owned another router.

The Netgear WNDR3700 is a lot better in terms of range, features, and expandability. At least in my experience.

10. stuartmeyers macrumors regular

stuartmeyers

I was wondering about that quote to......among people on the MacRumours Forum.

In saying that they do seem good and strong as long as the features are what you are after. I use two Airport Expresses and they work well but I miss browser configuration and other options I had on my Dlink.

11. BIS2 macrumors regular

non-apple routers

I did a speed test the other day and was surprised how low my numbers were. But then I realized my router is probably almost 10 years old.....I would love to buy an Apple router but can't afford it - I need something in the $50-$75 range max.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive router? I don't need it to have huge range (my apartment is small), and I don't do a lot of gaming, etc. I currently have a DLink DI-624.

Thanks in advance-

12. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I bought a refurbished linksys e2000 for $39 or something equally crazy recently. It can run DD-WRT, and is all around a good router. I'm happier with it than my airport extreme.