Best Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jetheat, May 19, 2009.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I have a D-Link G604T Wireless Router/Modem which constantly drops wireless connection. I end up having to reboot it time and again to get it working again.

I'm now thinking of getting a really good one which can avoid interference, even from the Time Capsule router sitting next to it.

I'm also thinking of going Wireless N since those are the best of all routers with max speeds etc... (So I read).

Taking the above into consideration, which router should I choose?
    Doesn't have to be Apple.

I'd like the best of all features at a reasonable cost.

Any suggestions?

JH

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The AEBS is a very router; best one I've used so far.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

is this provided by your ISP? you may not be able to change.

If you have a a time capsule, do you need another router? it has an airport extreme built in. just turn off the wireless on the main router, and use the Time capsule

do all of your devices have wireless N? if not then you will loose speed when a B/G device connects.
    also to get the fastest speeds you need to use the 5GHz version of N (which doesn't work with G), which although fast when close to the base, is killed very quickly when it goes through walls.

and Fastest doesn't always equal best.

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I'd consider a router that will allow you to run a third-party firmware since that will give you more features than the stock firmware on most routers.

I'm personally running the Tomato Firmware on a Linksys WRT54GL.
    http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I second this... Tomato is awesome. However I would recommend the Asus WL-500GP instead of the linksys as it has twice the RAM and Flash memory, and also USB ports enabling you to have NAS functionality in the router, albeit rather slowly.
    That said there are currently no N routers running with Tomato, so if you really need N wireless you may want to consider something else. Personally, I will never go back to manufacturer firmware, including Apple's. 3rd party firmware is so, so much better if you don't mind a bit of tinkering.

6. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if it is being interfered with by the neighbours router or if its due to some other reason.

Is there something I can do?

Can I buy a router which can beat the neighbours router in a boxing match?

Maybe another frequency? Which router would support multi frequency? Would that even help?

The D-Link one I have is my own, not the ISP's.

The Time Capsule is just a router (and backup drive), but my D-Link is a Router and a Modem for my ADSL connection.

All of my equipment is G I think. So if I get a N, I guess I would face problems, especially if I get a 5Ghz one. Is this correct?

JH

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

N is backwards compatable to G, so if you get N router, you can put it in G mode.

also take a look at this article. Many things, like cordless phones and microwaves, operate at the same frequency and can interfere.

if you have a mac, get istumbler, it will show you what networks are around you and what channels they are on, chances are you, and your neighbors, are still on the default (6). Go to 1 or 11. The channels do overlap, so try to go the furthest away from other channels that are in use as you can.

you can still use the d-link as your modem, then just run an ethernet from the d-link to the WAN port on the TC, and use the TC as your router.