Best Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freediro, Jun 27, 2009.

1. freediro macrumors member

freediro

I have a brand new 13" MBP and my old netgear router doesnt hack it anymore! can the MBP's wireless capabilities pick up any wireless N router signal or do i need to stick with G? What router would you guys recommend, i live in a 2 story house so i need good signal strength and range. :confused:

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have an Airport Express and I am quite impressed by the little thing. The range is good and it doesn't take up alot of space. I have used Linksys and the older Airport 802.11b (saucer) router in the past

3. 1ne macrumors regular

You can use any wireless N router. I have a linksys wrt610n and it's been working good for me. Moving to wireless N your range will be shorter but your speed will increase. Whereas the opposite for the G radios. Most likely you will need to mess around with it. Unless you can get a Wireless controller, and let your client roam in all your APs. A setup like that is not cheap.

4. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Timecapsule

Time capsule for the backup or Airport Extreme works very well in a two story house.

sek

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've had good luck with the Linksys Wireless-N Home routers. Plenty of speed for my broadband cable connection.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

+1 for airport extreme

that thing is a beast..I have all my game systems linked up to it (and 13" mbp) and I have never had an easier time setting up a router.

7. captain-rossco macrumors member

I'm on Virgin Media 20mb, we just got sent a Netgear WNR2000 and it's making me want to top myself.

Too Slow, the belkin 54g was faster but needs resetting every 5 mins!

Regards
    CR

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm loving my Airport Extreme - Wireless N works great its faster and more stable than my old Netgear B/G system and the range is better too.

I'm actually using both, the Netgear is still the adsl modem now its bridged to the airport extreme which sends out the signal far and wide.

This way I'm able to have a networked drive and a networked printer

:rolleyes::apple:

9. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

10. islandman macrumors 6502

I love D-Link stuff. I got the DIR-825, which is dual band. I am running a few devices from it on the slower band (Xbox, Wii, iPhone, BlackBerry). On the fast (802.11n) band, I run my iMac and MacBook Pro, and connect my ReadyNAS. Connecting with 2 bands allows the 802.11n devices to operate at full speed.

11. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I have the Linksys wireless N Ultra router purchased last year (replacing my Linksys G Router) and i've noticed that both will randomly disconnect and force me to unplug my router to reset it. I have updated the firmware and still have the issue

IDK if its an issue of what i'm running but I'd love it to stop. Currently i have 2.4ghz 3 handset home phone, 1 macbook (G), 1 MBP (N), iPhone (G), PC Laptop (G), PC Desktop (G) all running wirelessly at any given time and also have my PS3 & 360 hooked up with ethernet cables

anyone have any ideas? I'm really starting to think its my home phones, i'm looking to upgrade to 6.0ghz but i'm not 100% sure that's the issue

please help!

12. freediro thread starter macrumors member

freediro

AP Extreme

are the airports only made for apple devices or will people without macs also be able to connect to the wireless signal sent out by the AP?

13. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

it works with both pc and macs, along with other consumer devices that use wifi.

14. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

airport extreme. HANDS DOWN. although it is twice the price of a linksys n router, it comes with apple care if you also have warranty on your computer. in addition, it hasn't hiccuped once, unlike my cheap and crappy linksys router (which is now a piece of plastic sitting in the garage). incredibly easy to set up, and i have blazing speeds even while sitting next to my pool. although you might pay a small premium for this router, it has guest networking capabilities, included warranty, and very stable hardware. i'd rather spend $190 for the next 5 years, then $80 on some router that i have to restore to factory settings every 30 days.

15. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i use it for my macbook, my mom's pc, my dad's pc, and my sister's pc.

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I use the Airport Extreme Base Station. Great speed and signal. I haven't had on dropout since I got it.. my old Linksys WRT300n on the other hand.. that thing would drop every half hour.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I have owned probably 10 routers over the years. Not one of them was as simple to setup, reliable, or had as strong a signal, as my Airport Extreme.

18. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I would recommend an Airport Extreme simply because it's the only router I know of with a USB port. Really easy to add a backup drive or printer.

19. anthonyris macrumors newbie

I have just bought a dual band Airport Extreme base station and I have to say its the most impressive router I've ever owned. Great performance, great looks, and its covered by my MBP AppleCare.