Best Word Processor & "Office Suite"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jh215, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jh215 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I'm obviously a new member here at MacRumors as I finally own an iMac! My question is what is the best word processor on Mac OS X? I need good compatibility with Microsoft Office as I often have to send files for work & school. So, would Office for Mac be my best bet? I have heard mixed things about it. Also, what are your opinions on Pages & Keynote? What are your opinions on Open Office? What do you guys use?

Thanks!

2. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Honestly, for straight up compatibility, I have to recommend microsoft office, simply because it is the word processing software the rest of the world uses.

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I use Pages & Keynote and I think they are wonderful! I had to write a paper, but I had to present it on a windows computer and Pages actually translated it well.

If you want to avoid all of the bloat, then I would suggest Pages & Keynote, but if you are going to be relying heavily on MS Office, then you may want to opt for that.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have to agree and for the reason that you have stated; the Mac world will argue that iWork is better (and it probably is, but most of the world uses Office and Word). For me, Office for Mac was a deal breaker - as my entire work world uses Word, I had to have a programme that had Word, so I bought a copy of Office for Mac.

There is a version of Office for Mac available for teachers and students and the discount is considerable on the price for the standard version.

5. sleinad macrumors member

I will join the group, and say that Office for Mac is the best option. I like Pages, but Office has just more features. (I think, or at least I'm more familiar with more features on Office than on Pages.)

6. jh215 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks a lot guys! I have to work a great deal in Word, PowerPoint and Excel so I guess Office for Mac is the best option after all. I had heard of some compatibility issues, etc. but I need the formatting of my work to look as similar as possible on both platforms and everyone hear says it is a great choice. I appreciate the help everyone and I plan on sticking around the forums for time to come.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Office 2011 is great, much better than any of the previous office releases. This is because it looks most like the windows version, which I think is well designed and makes sense. I learned how to use office on windows, and it works similarly on a mac in 2011. They have taken the "ribbon" toolbar at the top and used the same idea in office 2011, which makes it very simple to make the switch.

I began to use it mostly because of its compatibility but it also has a simple to use UI and looks great. I especially like the "notebook" layout in word, this makes taking notes in class super easy and also makes them easy to organize. I have heard of people having compatibility issues with pages and keynote, and I would just try to avoid all that and use microsoft office.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. Microsoft redeemed a lot string of slow and clunky Mac Office releases with 2011. It's pretty speedy and is a easier transition with the Windows-like ribbon interface.

9. jh215 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm definitely going with Office now!