Best work option 2x24" Displays or 1x 30" display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Akula971, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

I'm looking to change my old Dell 24" monitor and would like to hear from people who use either the 30" display and or 2 24" displays. My thoughts are this, that one 30" display could actively display my CAD screen window together with the data sheets that I constantly need to refer to. Or would it be best to have 2 24" displays, with one for the cad screen in full and the other with my data sheets? Has anyone been here before and what did this find was the best option?

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I have two 24" screens. I don't do what you do, but I find the use of to screens to be a major work boost when I am editing movie. Using Premier or Final Cut is great with two screens because you don't get lost looking for what you want on a huge screen. You know where to find it on the other one.

I can see why a 30" would be beneficial. I think if you do a lot of editing which requires screen switching then go for two 24".

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's a question that comes up often. Personally I like working with two or three 30" monitors in sitting down use or 2 x 24 x 2 over-under for bench use, but spacewise 23-30-23 is good as well as it'll just fit on a typical desk - and it's all about how you compartmentalise your working space.

My CAD-related setups are either 30-30, or 24x4 + external master vis.

Despite the apparent size of the 30-incher, you still can't get a definite separation of windows as you would with two 23/4'ers with many task-effective window sizes and for many types of working, two of those can be more effective than a 30-inch (where you'd be using Expose a lot otherwise, or coaxing windows into different configurations).

However, of course you can cram more info onto a single screen on a 30-inch. It just depends on what you're doing.

I think for a general domestic user, a single 30-inch might be better as you can for example put movies full-screen on it, etc. If this is a work tool, you might like to have a longer think.

4. billib macrumors member

billib

Two Heads are Better than One

I've used one 30 incher for a while and ended up getting a great deal on a second 30 inch. I think you'd be happier with two (23"-24") large displays as opposed to one 30". Having an UNCLUTTERED workspace makes everything more efficient, faster, more of a pleasure and less work. You'll wonder how you got along without the second display.

5. MadisonTate macrumors member

A friend picked up an HP "Famous Maker" 24-inch 1920x1200 from PC Connection for $200 + shipping. It's gorgeous without a single bad pixel. http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9702341

My ideal would be 2 Cinema 30-inch displays, but they're $1600 US and aren't even LED-backlit. I keep thinking that 2 24-inchers for $400 would save me a lot of money compared to even a single 30-inch display for $1799.

I've been hoping that Apple would release its new 30-inch (or possibly bigger), or that the 30-inch would get a lower price...maybe $800.

2x30-inch = $3600
    2x24-inch HP = $400

The savings is enough to buy an 8-core Mac Pro!

6. Akula971 thread starter macrumors regular

Akula971

Apple no longer sell the 24" Cinema display

Well I've been using a secondary display for a week now. Although its a cheap 15" display it has proved invaluable . I just looked at the UK Apple store and they now only sell the LED 24" display with the horrible glossy glass front, guess its another 24" Dell then.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

cost plus performance wise, the best I would recommend a solid 30" display for your main work and a smaller 24" or even 20" for all the palettes and data sheets.

cost: one 30" and a 24" is cheaper than two 30" displays

performance: one 30" still enables you have all your main work on it and be the premier focus in your workflow while you have the added comfort and space of the 24" to put everything else.

This of course is personal opinion but after trying dual 23" and dual 30" setups i still wasn't satisfied. With dual 23" i found it still abit cramped and you lose that clear marker of which is your main monitor. Two 30" displays as lovely as they were was just too big for me. Having to move my neck so much constantly plus the long hours i spend infront of my screen just tired me out quicker.

8. 929406 macrumors regular

can anyone please share how to connect two monitors in conjunction on a unibody MBP. I am trying to create an extended screen not a mirror

9. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Not sure what format your datasheets are in, but having two monitors, one portrait and one landscape could be better than one big landscape or two smaller landscapes, if all you are doing is looking at the 8.5x11 datasheets on one.

Different story if your sheets are 11x17 :p