Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MEDELLINHEEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
I just got a new mbp and was wondering which software or site was best for converting youtube to mp3.

Would like it to automatically go to my itunes library. Art would be a bonus.

Thanks

MEDELLINHEEL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
looking for software programs that do it automatically. have one for my pc but not sure it works for mac.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Have a look at "Youtube To MP3 Converter" : http://www.mediahuman.com

You can have it adding a mp3 from Youtube to your iTunes Library in two clicks (yes, two, and even ONE if you place a bookmark in your Safari bookmarks bar).

I find extensions are much better just for Youtube. Or u don't even need... There are sites that u stick direct link URL in and it converts for u..

http://en.savefrom.net/1-how-to-download-youtube-video/

Doesn't do everything, which is probably the trade off with most of these websites, and that's why extension, or app is better in some cases.

DryRot

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2016
Nine months on, any updates in this?

Looking for a converter for a Mac with OS 10.9

Thanks

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I use youtube downloader.

not automatic and sometimes messes up the recording length, I had 45mins video end up 2.5 hours!
but it is rare it happens.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Why convert to super lossy MP3? Most, if not all, YouTube content is already MP4. I'd just use something like Subler to remove video track and add any desired metadata. This is both faster and less lossy compared to recompressing the track.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why convert to super lossy MP3? Most, if not all, YouTube content is already MP4. I'd just use something like Subler to remove video track and add any desired metadata. This is both faster and less lossy compared to recompressing the track.
Does using subler to do that automatically convert that MP4 to mp3 for use in iTunes?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Does using subler to do that automatically convert that MP4 to mp3 for use in iTunes?
I mostly use Subler for remuxing. However, I believe it might be less automated than you might like. There is a queue and possibly a setting to automatically send to iTunes. It is a free program and works very well.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I mostly use Subler for remuxing. However, I believe it might be less automated than you might like. There is a queue and possibly a setting to automatically send to iTunes. It is a free program and works very well.
You asked the question "why covert it to mp3?" And suggested using Subler. So how does Subler take a YouTube video and put it into an audio format that is usable by iTunes? (which was the OP's original question)

I use Subler for adding metadata information to the videos I rip from my DVDs (or download from YouTube).

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
You asked the question "why covert it to mp3?" And suggested using Subler. So how does Subler take a YouTube video and put it into an audio format that is usable by iTunes? (which was the OP's original question)

I use Subler for adding metadata information to the videos I rip from my DVDs (or download from YouTube).
Oh, an MP4 is just a container. It can be audio, video, text, pictures, or a combination. YouTube videos are MP4 that has two tracks: video and audio. Subler can be used to add, or in this case remove, tracks. Simply deleting the video track from the file is sufficient to make it an "audio" file. No additional recompression or conversion of any kind is needed.

wallynetoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Oh, an MP4 is just a container. It can be audio, video, text, pictures, or a combination. YouTube videos are MP4 that has two tracks: video and audio. Subler can be used to add, or in this case remove, tracks. Simply deleting the video track from the file is sufficient to make it an "audio" file. No additional recompression or conversion of any kind is needed.

Hello i'm new here and would like to know if you can help me walk through using Subler to make a file that is playable on my itunes from an youtube link.... thank you

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Hello i'm new here and would like to know if you can help me walk through using Subler to make a file that is playable on my itunes from an youtube link.... thank you
It is as simple as I said in my previous post. Open MP4 with Subler. It will list an audio track and video track. Click the video track then click the “-“ button to delete the video track. Click save.

Alternatively you could start Subler and create a new empty file. Drag your source (YouTube) file into the new Subler document. Subler will ask you what tracks you'd like to add. Select so only the audio track is checked, then ok. Once it has imported the audio track, you can save it... since this is a new document, you can give it a name and file type (all this means is that it will use the m4a extension but because m4a, m4v, m4r, etc. are all just mp4 anyway, you can literally change the extension at any time).

kglendale

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
Is there way that I will be able to convert any music video to a mp3 or mp4 format? I am currently using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Is there way that I will be able to convert any music video to a mp3 or mp4 format? I am currently using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3.
If the video is already mp4, use subler to delete video track. Select save as and give the new file a name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.