Best Zip Program for OSX (not stuffit or leopards built in)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sean Dempsey, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I need something more reliable for zipping and unzipping files. I have to use the .zip format for clients who use windows and don't like .rars.

Leopards "compress" option has been really spotty for me, leaving files out or using cached versions of files. No idea how or why it's doing this, but I've tested it out and it's really annoying.

I have stuffit, which I hate.

Isn't there anything as useful and friendly as WinRAR out there?

2. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those 2 programs just un-compress files, but not actually create new archives?

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Ah, my apologies, read the post too quickly. I always use the "Compress" option, which seems to work fine for me.

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

You're the first I've heard complain about bomarchive. Perhaps its a PEBKAC issue?

6. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

If I need to zip up a folder, if I right click the folder and choose "compress..." it compresses it and names it after the folder, but occasionally when I send (or decompress the folder myself) files are just plain ommitted.

Plus, there have been times that I finish a file, and compress it with some others to send to a client. When they get it, they get a version that I had saved a few hours ago, but not the most recent. And yes, I have tested it and am 100% sure that I had saved the file before compressing it.

I don't get it, but using the built in leopard compressor has been very hit or miss. I don't see how I can select 10 files, compress them into a .zip, and then when I send it to the client, they are missing files.

Or, even better, I had 10 folders with 6 files each in them, I select all 10 folders, compress them, and then decompress it in a different location. Folders 6-10 had no files in them.

I don't see how that's a "user error".

7. GonG macrumors newbie

You can try BetterZip. I've tried using it and it works like a charm :)

8. numlock macrumors 68000

tarpit works fine for me.

has a few settings you can change and different compression methods

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have a link for that? Google wasn't my friend on that one.

10. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I've been using The Unarchiver to decompress files but I guess I've just now realized that's all it does. Does the built-in archiver for OS X compress to anything other than .Zip? I mostly use the RAR format.

11. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had tried Betterzip last night but my 9.3mb file zipped up to 8.4mb. Not much of a savings there. Window's built in zip utility can take a 15mb excel file and zip it up to under a meg.

Now with betterzip there was an option to compress more risking slower operation and on a G4 PB it did not take all but a minute, if that. But it was slower than normal compression. The savings there from 9.3 mb was still showing at 8.4 mb. That doesn't make much sense to me.

With Yemuzip I had the same results but like that has an e-mail feature. That's always nice since I usually only zip things up to e-mail them.

Maybe I am expecting too much. Since I don't use this function often enough I don't see justification in buying something like stuffit at $80 for a license.

13. Miittle macrumors newbie

14. Miittle macrumors newbie

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I had strange issues with OS X's Compress function when dealing with Windows users. I'd zip the file, open it with OS X and all my files are there. Then I sent that very file to a friend, and when opened, it's empty. And when she clicked Extract all, it'd go through the motions, then suddenly stop and say it cannot extract.

I tried this twice, even.

So thanks guys for the alternatives, they probably will come to be useful in the future.

17. sjivan macrumors member

I would recommend Springy ( http://www.springyarchiver.com/ )

From my blog http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/my_osx_developer_toolbox_is

18. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

If you still need one WinZip Mac works very well. it zips files quiet well.

19. Tortri, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

20. old-school macrumors 6502

The Unarchiver is my favourite.

Free in the app store.

21. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Some files are more compressible then others. JPG files do not compress well, an neither do good M4V files. Whereas Excel files are very compressible. The only right test is to compress the same file with every different tool; that will give you a more accurate understanding of each tools compression algorithm. The ZIP algorithm is quite standard now, so I would suspect you won't find much difference between the different tools.

22. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I had the same problem, it turned out that the version of ZIP I had in Windows (the built in one or WinZIP) was older then the one that was built into the Mac and thus couldn't see the file structure. I figured out how to upgrade the windows side and all worked well from then on.