BestBuy.com no longer allowing purchases online...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by truthiness, Mar 18, 2012.

1. truthiness macrumors regular

I was on BestBuy.com earlier today and was able to check availability for any of the new iPads. Now the feature is unavailable and all models say 'In Store Only'.

I wonder why?

2. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

They did the same thing when the 4s came out too.

3. Built macrumors 68020

Perhaps they're more interested in pushing available inventory to the stores.

I got a 64GB ATT in Black at one of my local Best Buys on launch day...I noticed today that the local stores seem to be all sold out (suprisingly) of the higher-end (ie 32 and above) versions...Maybe there were just more 16s in the supply pipeline...

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Maybe they sold the ones they had in the warehouse, and the only ones left over the weekend are in the stores?

C

5. LanEvo macrumors 6502

They never did online ordering, except for in-store pickup, no shipping, I would have gotten one if they did. Had to have my parents get one for me an hour away, and then drive to the next town where I could return/rebuy as that store was OOS.

6. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

With demand for a huge product like the new iPad it makes a ton more sense for a business to want the customer to come into the store for it over buying it online. When a customer comes in they can up sell easier and hope the customer sees something else like new TV or whatever. I can see why for the launch of the new iPad why they'd push a large number of people into the store over to their web site.

7. LanEvo macrumors 6502

And they def. try to push for the extended warranties.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I bought mine online for in-store pickup. No shipping was available for any of them, and not all of them were in stock at my local Best Buy... which is how I ended up going with a 64GB instead of a 32GB :p

9. Built macrumors 68020

Bigger is better, IMHO, though many disagree with me.

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I agree. I was just going to go with a 32GB because I consistently carry my 32GB iPhone and 8GB iPod Nano (as a watch) around with me. So I'd simply split everything between the 3 devices, which would make 32GB pretty manageable.

But with 169 apps already on my iPad, I have 42GB left. Time to put my music and some movies on it :p

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What is there really to wonder about.

Likely they want you in the store so they can sign you up to a Verizon plan without you knowing it. They a scummy people to deal with.

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

They actually had shut off online ordering before the launch last Friday. That being said, I went into one of the Best Buys here in town late Friday afternoon and they still had plenty of iPads in stock - all sizes of the WiFi only and WiFi + LTE in both colors.

13. truthiness thread starter macrumors regular

But they only allowed in store pickup, so the customer was going to have to go to the store anyway. I think the issue is that now a customer has no idea if the store has any stock so they may venture to find out, vs. simply checking inventory and not going to the store if it shows unavailable.