Bestbuy deal with ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hcho3, Oct 26, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Has anyone purchased iPod touch from bestbuy with Insignia GPS they are giving away right now?

I have read review of this GPS and it is awful, but they said it gets the job done for 200 dollars. But, now this GPS is free. My Garmin GPS is like 6 years old and I thought this would be good alternative. I don't even use GPS at all. When I go to vacation like 2-3 times a year, then I get a rent car and use it.

Long story short, has any of you took this deal and got GPS and ipod touch?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Or... you could get the iPod with a GPS kit like this. I don't know how well it works, but crappy can mean useless when it comes to GPS equipment.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/product...ation/tomtom-car-kit-for-iPod-touch/index.jsp

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yeah sure. If it is free and if you need an iPod touch, then go for it. But don't buy the touch for the GPS.

5. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

So, I don't get it...I realize that there are two different kits listed, one for the iPhone and another for the iPod Touch, but when you look under iPod touch, it says:

Don't let a weak signal slow you down. The TomTom car kit boosts your iPhone's GPS signal to ensure that you get the best possible navigation experience. Its built-in receiver increases the GPS performance of your iPhone to give you an incredibly reliable signal - even when driving in high-rise urban areas.

Unless I am mistaken, if there is no Wi-Fi, then there is no GPS signal at ALL to be able to boost. So wouldn't this basically be pointless with the iPod Touch, unless your car has some sort of a mobile hotspot?

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It takes an app from the App Store and feeds it GPS data in real time. The iPhone cradle lacks the GPS.