Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
good morning MR,

so just shopping for my fiance's anniversary gift MBA, and sneaked peaks at the MBP prices as well while on bestbuy.com

every single macbook is on sale from 75-100 dollars off..... normal? maybe a sign of things to come? (new versions??)

should i buy with confidence or stick to apple directly?

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
good morning MR,

so just shopping for my fiance's anniversary gift MBA, and sneaked peaks at the MBP prices as well while on bestbuy.com

every single macbook is on sale from 75-100 dollars off..... normal? maybe a sign of things to come? (new versions??)

These sales happen from time to time. Not reflective of anything.

Go with Apple refurb. Get a great computer and save some good money.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Best Buy has been discounting in my area since Xmas.

Refurbs from Apple are as good as buying a new machine.

Bmf79

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I picked up one for the wife and myself at BB last week using the Triple Rewards coupons they had at the time. I also had them price match Microcenter on the 13" as it was cheaper there.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
good morning MR,

No sign of anything, as Best Buy never has the new models immediately, they are always behind when Apple updates. In my area it can be 2 months after release before they actually stock them (in fact I have been told that there is no new model even though I could drive 2-3 miles and buy it in the Apple store.

The big difference buying from BB versus Apple is one gets the Reward Zone points, can add the damage warranty, and BB has a limited selection (they don't stock all configurations that are available in the stores, such as they have no models with an AG screen that is not standard such as the air). I prefer the Apple store, but would have no problem with BB if they offered the one that I want, as it is still covered by the 1 year Applecare and you can take it into the store to get looked at without issue.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
But are refurbs going to cause me any grief?

From the site or instore....?

Might cause grief with your fiancé -- refurbs come in plain boxes rather than the fancy Apple packaging. OTOH she might think you are wise for not wasting money on packaging!

I've bought both ways, preferring refurbs when I can get them. Buy them on the website. You can have them delivered to the Apple Store for pickup. If you have a Discover credit card, you can get 5% off the purchase price, an additional savings!

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

I used to buy new, nut now for the last year or so only buy Refurbs, never had an issue, and I have 5 Macs, and several iPhones in my house, so far well worth the savings, also have standard 1-Year warranty as well.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
could be old stock on the MBP maybe early 2011 models?

No, they are late 2011 models.

OP, I had the same decision to make, but went with the Apple refurb last night since it is highly praised here and it was cheaper. The extra money can go towards accessories, applecare, or something else entirely.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011

My reply was on a refurb MBP. Saved about $300, I think...and it had 8GB RAM instead of the standard 4GB. This is the second refurb laptop I've bought...never pay full price again. :)

Buy from the Apple web site and you've got nothing to worry about. A perfectly good computer with full warranty...and you have more money to spend on presents for your GF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.